womens history month?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
womens history month?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

It’s Women’s History Let’s Celebrate Grannies!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Guess what time it is?

IT’S TIME TO CELEBRATE WOMEN!!! Wooooahhh

We should be celebrating them all year round, but the months are too preoccupied with celebrating men 24/7.

Anyhow, for my women’s month piece I will be celebrating my grandmother.

Her and I have not always had the best relationship, but that was more on my part then hers. In the early stages of getting to know one another, I was busy trying to know my friends. I casted her out of my life.

I remember getting mad at her for the littlest of things and the most charitable. She used to buy large barrels to fill with school supplies and clothing for people back home. Being the petty and miserable child I was, I used to think she focused too much on other peoples lives and not enough on her own (for reasons being).

As time moved by and she moved away, my mind and feelings evolved to the point where whatever negative thoughts or feelings I had about her faded away. I was able to see her in a new light rather than in the dark.

Reconnecting with her years later gave me the chance to know more about her, including the kind of person she is. I even got to know her story as a women moving from one country to another, leaving behind her beloved home.

The new insight granted me the ability to paint her as someone to be appreciative of and to look up to. The portrait in my head was one I painted using watercolors to outline the magnificent women I had in my life and the ones I should be grateful to still have.

My grandmother was a mother who has tried to support her children, even when they are all grown up. She has been one to rely on herself for her needs, but knows when it is time to lean on a friends shoulder. She is a women who with little money in her purse, will manage to send large barrels of supplies for families who cannot afford much. She is a women who thinks of others before herself. She looks at the world and the people on the streets with open eyes and hope for a stranger.

I do not know what would have become of us if we had not gotten the space we so clearly needed, but what I do know is this: that space gave us a chance to connect as grandmother and granddaughter.

Till this day, she has become my best friend, mentor, and fashionista (seriously, she has good taste).

So that is it peeps, I hope this month you get a chance to explore all the beautiful women in your life!

Hello, sunflower! Alicia Maxwell, meaning noble which she tries to live up to! Currently is a senior writer for the Her Campus SBU Chapter, soon to graduate with her Bachelor of Arts in English Literature. Being an English Lit, she loves to explore and write a range of topics. She doesn’t believe one should limit their skills or knowledge. However, her favored topics are investigative work (i.e., handling our insecurities and housing crisis). Alongside writing for Her Campus, she recently interned abroad in Ireland for STELLARS magazine. For her, it was an experience and an eye-opener. She had the chance to explore a different side of writing (culturally as well). The one article that stuck with Alicia the most was “Eight Gorgeous Irish Markets To Visit This Summer.” Alicia loves markets! Having the chance to explore a few in another country was a dream come true. Before that year, Alicia also served on the college newspaper as a feature writer. The BonaVenture (what a creative name), published articles she conducted on the campus community. Her favorite piece has to be “Campus Community Reacts To The Death Of Tyre Nichols.” It was also her very first article written for the newspaper. Last, but never not least, she had interned for her college archives performing research on a past Bonna Student, Roi Ottley. Her work was combined onto the college archive's website to update what information they had on him. Aside from her work as a writer and student, she enjoys taking walks with her head in the clouds seeing the world from another perspective. She also loves browsing Netflix, critiquing and analyzing the artwork.