Happiness is found in solitude. Humans by nature are social creatures— we thrive off ofsocializing and creating relationships with others, but solitude is where we create a relationshipwith ourselves. Funny enough, taking time for ourselves is often viewed as “selfish” or“unproductive,” but it’s actually the complete opposite!

If you cannot be happy in your own company, you cannot fully be happy around others. Icannot express enough how important it is to gain a relationship with yourself first. It’s OK to beselfish and take time to be with yourself. Solitude can be uncomfortable for many because we’vebeen taught that we should constantly be around others and be there for others, but when youreally think about it, if you can’t show up for yourself, it’s almost impossible to show up forothers. Spending time by yourself allows the body to catch up with the mind.

In the craziness of our existence and in a world of overstimulation, our minds areconstantly thinking ahead and analyzing situations. It’s during the times when we just stop

everything and sit with ourselves— whether it be through mediating, yoga, painting, listening tomusic, working out, or even just being in silence -- we allow our mind and body to get back intosync. Thoughts come to us much clearer. Situations also make more sense and most importantly,we become centered and grounded again.

Solitude is one of the best ways to find yourself. Self-discovery is an ongoing processthat can be difficult and frustrating at times, but it is when you are in your own company, youlearn about yourself. You fully come home to yourself. When alone, ask yourself questions andreally feel for the answer. Who are you? What do you like about yourself? What are yourpassions? What do you define yourself as? Are you comfortable being by yourself? Just sit withyourself, ask yourself these questions and see what happens.

One of my favorite quotes is “In solitude the mind gains strength and learns upon itself.”Really think about this for a second. At the end of the day, you are the only permanent personthat will be in your life forever. You are stuck with yourself for the rest of your life, so you mightas well be comfortable with that and really learn about yourself and grow to love your owncompany! Work towards falling in love with solitude and don’t be afraid to come home toyourself every so often.

A strong relationship with yourself allows you to truly cultivate and attract the mostmagical relationships with others. If you’re stuck on a situation or have been having majoranxiety about making a decision about something, truly take time to be by yourself, sit withyourself, think about the situation without any distractions and wait for the answer to come toyou— it will. You will notice your relationships with others will improve, simply because therelationship with yourself improved. Do something you love by yourself. Just be with yourselfand only yourself. Become your best friend. Indulge in solitude. Find peace in the silence andwork towards being OK in your own company. So much good will come from this simplepractice, I promise you that.