This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Now don’t come at me with the pitchforks and knives. I’ll clarify. I love Euphoria. It’s addicting (pun not intended) to watch and keep up with the main characters.

The soundtrack is great, I can’t stop listening to “Still Don’t Know My Name” in the car. The outfits and makeup? Especially from Maddy and Cassie?? 10/10. I definitely want to recreate them.

However, my problem with Euphoria is this…why is it set in high school? I’m in no way saying that teenagers in high school don’t face addiction and drama. But to that level? It’s pretty unlikely. I was in high school three years ago and it was nothing like that at all.

There is full-frontal (and rear) nudity from the characters in this show. Characters that are supposed to be 16/17 years old. And yet they’re played by 20 and 30 something-year-old actors. That doesn’t make people a little uncomfortable? Why am I watching two (what’s supposed to be) 17-year-olds have full nude sex?

To me, it’s sexualizing high school kids and other adolescent bodies. Let’s be real. You don’t feel your most confident, sexiest self when you’re 16 years old, learning how to drive and studying for the SATs. And teenage bodies don’t all look like full-grown adult bodies. It’s just not realistic. 

But I get it. Teens are in high school having sex. That’s nothing new so of course, it’s included. 

Also, along with the nudity…why does it seem that for every episode there is white male genitalia shoved into my face? For every episode. Like please give it a rest. And the scene where (big spoiler alert) Cal is shown having his tongue in someone’s you-know-where….I’ve never skipped a scene so fast.

Now, in no way am I a prude. And this isn’t me going ew naked body ew sex. 

It’s me going…this would have been better set for a different age group. College-age groups. Why do television writers always make shows for teens? When do the college people (like me) get some representation? I can tell you right now I’ve done way more interesting stuff in college than I ever did in high school.

There have been plenty of shows over the years that have gone wild with the high school drama. Some of them are even my favorites. Like Gossip Girl, who doesn’t love Gossip Girl?

But wouldn’t it be interesting to make a show about what high school is really like? Just a regular show following regular people. And I know that might sound a little boring to you but in a way it makes me think of The Office. 

I could go on and on with all the changes I think Euphoria should make, but it’ll just be a really long rant. 

However, I could also make a really long list of all the things I do love about Euphoria but maybe I’ll save that for another day. 

I’m definitely still going to watch the newest episode on Sunday, though. 

Hello! I'm a senior Journalism student with a minor in Criminology. I have a love for books, anime and cats. You can often find me curled up on the couch with a romance novel while sipping some coffee.