Here’s What’s In and What’s Out This November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Just as our queen Eli Rallo does at the dawn of a new month, I present you with a list of things that we can collectively agree are either ditching or adopting this November, or as Rallo has dubbed it, a list of “Ins and Outs.”

Unfortunately, I have a 400-word-count requirement to meet. So, instead of listing random, specific items, I will less ruthlessly cut things out from this month. Obviously, this is just my opinion, so take it as you will!

IN: Hair accessories

I’m talking bows and headbands. They are currently all over Pinterest, and I am loving it. A thin little bow to tie up your half-up half-down style? Perfection. It’s so cozy and fall.

I have recently started wearing headbands and bows, and they make me feel so stylish and festive! They are simple and cheap—I think a pack of headbands is $4, and the ribbon is no more than $2—but they elevate any outfit.

OUT: Doom scrolling

How many hours are lost every year due to doom scrolling? For me, about 520– estimated off of the 10 hours a week I spend on just on TikTok every week.

Now, social media consumption in mediation is fine, but mindless escapism scrolling is detrimental. Instead, consider picking up a new hobby or reading!

🧶 Related: The Importance of a Crafty Hobby

IN: Reusable coffee cups

This one is for the dining hall coffee girls. The paper cups are tempting, but they are impractical and not great for the environment.

Using a reusable coffee cup allows you to sip on your warm drink throughout the day and won’t spill on you as you stride to class in the freezing cold.

OUT: The same tired playlists

Having good music taste makes you interesting! I am so guilty of replaying the same playlist every single day. Don’t get me wrong! It’s a masterpiece, but it is becoming a little redundant.

This November, dabble in different artists and genres to expand your listening repertoire.

Also, remember that you will be inundated with Christmas music soon. So, explore music while you still have the chance!

IN: Vitamins

November means cold weather and darkness, which bring illness and, for some, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Vitamins can naturally combat these things.

Healthline suggests taking vitamin D and Magnesium to anyone experiencing seasonal depression. Of course, they also recommend consulting with a doctor before implementing vitamins into your daily routine.

OUT: Impulse buys

I know you think you need a new sweater or top from Shein, but do you really need it? Give yourself a week or two to think about your purchase and if you desperately want this item and know you will use or if it will sit untouched for years to come.

Also, the holiday season is approaching. Save your money for the holidays when there are sales!

🛍️ Related: To Buy or Not to Buy?
Meghan Lex is a freshman at St. Bonaventure University from New Jersey. She is a new member at Her Campus SBU, but plans to write pieces surrounding mental health, entertainment, and campus life! She currently studies communications. Technically, she's a "Undeclared Communications" major at the moment because it gives her the opportunity to explore all of the different aspects of the field! As a freshman, she is extremely excited to try new things, and sign up for different clubs and experiences on campus. Evidently, she is a part of the women's cross country and track team, SBU@SPCA, Freshman Leadership Program, and the Student Athletes Wellness Club.