This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

March is International Women’s History Month. This is an opportunity within our society to shine a light on the impactful roles in which women contribute to the world. This past Wednesday was International Women’s Day; this is a perfect opportunity to take a minute to recognize women which you look up to, who helped you in times of struggle, or who are inspirational women who tell your story. 

It’s always important to remember in life that we are not made to do it all alone. Our struggles and our difficulties in life can seek comfort in the sense of understanding. Whether it’s talking to the people you surround yourself with, hearing their empathetic words can bring us to a level of feeling heard although it may not be fully. 

One way I’ve found this support can be provided is by individuals who are in the same boat as you, sharing their personal experiences. Knowing that you are not alone can provide so much relief to one’s mind. They inspire us, they encourage us, and they share a part of our story. 

The woman which shares a part of my story is Selena Gomez. Now if you know me, this is a little controversial for me. Growing up, I was never a Selena Gomez fan. Did it have everything to do with her relationship with my celebrity crush Justin Bieber at the time? Yes, completely that hatred was fueled by a weird little fangirl crush. 

As I have grown older I have very clearly grown through that hatred and have found myself in a sense of being heard through Selena Gomez. Over the past few years, she has been very vocal about both her chronic mental and physical illness. 

Releasing the documentary “My Mind & Me,” viewers were given a deeper dive into Selena’s life particularly when she opened up about her struggles personally and through the industry. Selena was diagnosed with lupus in 2014, a chronic autoimmune disease that causes inflammation throughout the body. This is a very discomforting disease and it tends to come in waves. This hits personally with me as I struggle with both chronic illness and anxiety. It can become lonely and painful, but we must remember we are not alone in this.

Selena discussed how as she began treatment for lupus, upon the various hospital visits, levels of pain, and medications, her anxiety and depression began to take control of her. Mental and physical health very much work symbiotically, when one flares up the other one is not far behind. This can become seriously damaging to an individual, especially since Selena mentioned she entered a stage of psychosis leading her to the diagnosis of bipolar disorder. 

Through Selena’s struggles, she has taken her lows and used them as an opportunity to show people that it is ok not to be ok. Even the people who look like they have it all together are still struggling and by producing this documentary, she hoped to decrease the stigma when it comes to talking about mental health. Not only by diminishing that stigma of talking about our struggles as well as endorsing the benefits of therapy and how it saved her life.  

Cassidy is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. She loves to use her creative outlet to advance her university's chapter. She has been writing for Her Campus for three years. Cassidy is a third-year student studying psychology with a minor in women's studies. Beyond Her Campus, she is involved in other extracurriculars such as L.I.F.T., Active Minds, and volunteering in the food pantry. She is the president of SBU for Equality. You may find her working in the admissions building as a student ambassador. She is an avid Pinterest user and will bring up how it is the best social media to exist. Her love for music keeps her going, nothing Taylor Swift can't help her with.