This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

After months of seemingly peaceful solitude, the former royal couple, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, chose to break their silence through a Netflix documentary series. The self-titled series, Harry & Meghan, has caused unparalleled controversy across the globe. Themes of autonomy, relationships, and privacy are explored in a six-episode series. 

What makes Meghan different? The former Suits actress contends that she faced discrimination within the Royal Family immediately after meeting Harry. She primarily attributes this treatment to being a multiracial woman of color, as well as an American actress. The two supposedly met through Instagram, having several mutual friends. 

As their relationship goes public, their lives morph into an unrecognizable pattern with British tabloids at the center. Popular tabloids including The Sun and Daily Mail continually publish false statements about the couple and Meghan’s past. Within their docuseries, Meghan expresses her frustrations with continually being compared to other females within the Royal Family both past and present. Her clothing, hair, and demeanor were constantly scrutinized against that of Diana, Kate, and The Queen. 

The series examines the upbringings of both Meghan and Harry prior to their union. Meghan, being a successful academic and activist despite growing up with divorced parents and humble means. Harry is examined for his reckless teenage years and subsequent disciplinary actions and military service. 

Eventually, the two meet and fall in love. Long flights and late-night calls mark the first several months of their relationship, as they are not only long-distance, but also in the public eye. The couple’s 2017 engagement sparks both praise and criticism across the globe. Meghan explains the efforts she took to assimilate into royal culture. Wearing neutral colors and accessories to blend in, Meghan asserts that the ruthless comments made by the media led her to a dangerous mental health state. 

Harry supports Meghan through their uniquely tumultuous relationship by expressing concerns to senior members of the Royal Family, who supposedly failed to take adequate action. Fortunately, the couple’s regal wedding is a resounding success. Meghan’s father did not show up to his own daughter’s wedding, causing a frenzy in British tabloids. Meghan reveals in the documentary that she wrote a private letter to her father that was soon intercepted by the press and leaked. Both Meghan and Harry now have estranged family members to whom they do not speak as a product of their union. In an interview with 60 Minutes, Harry confirmed that he does speak with his brother William anymore, though hopes that they will be able to in the future. 

On January 10th, Harry released his own memoir, Spare. Between the book, docuseries, and exclusive interviews, many wonder if the couple is too integrated within the media. Type the words “Meghan and Harry” into Google, where you’ll find outspoken opinions both sympathizing with and denouncing them. Regardless of your opinion on the couple, it’s clear that no one should be subjected to the threats and violation of privacy that they were forced to endure. 

Katie is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. Her experience with social media, advertising, and writing allow her to combine her passions and advance her university's chapter of HC. She has been a part of Her Campus since freshman year. It has been her favorite on-campus extracurricular to become involved with. Katie is a second-year student studying Strategic Communication and Marketing. She finds joy in being involved on campus through various organizations including Her Campus, Jandoli Women in Communication, and College Democrats. She is Vice President of SBU's Freshman Leadership Program. She is also a full-time student ambassador who enthusiastically leads tours for prospective students. (Request her as your tour guide!) In her free time, you can find Katie reading, hiking, and laughing with her friends. She loves spending time outdoors, especially in the fall. Her guilty pleasures are copious amounts of (iced) coffee and country music. Some of her favorite artists include Chris Stapleton, Fleetwood Mac, and Luke Combs. Katie will eagerly engage in any conversation about her beloved hometown, Buffalo, New York. She will likely attempt to convert you to become a Buffalo Bills fan, and could talk about Josh Allen for hours. Post-grad, Katie hopes to be using her creative talents towards a fulfilling career in the world of advertising.