The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

This week for Women’s History Month, I am choosing to write about the founder and CEO of Mielle Organics LLC.

Mielle Organics is a haircare and beauty brand created by a brilliant black woman for curly hair types.

You can find the products in retailers like Target and Walmart but also at your local beauty supply store.

Let’s go back in time a little bit. In 2013 Monique Rodriquez was pregnant with her son Milan. At eight months her uterus was ruptured and she had to go to the hospital. But instead of keeping her there to find out what was wrong, the doctors sent her home. (The way that the medical field treats black women is also something that needs to be discussed!!)

While at home, her son was losing oxygen to his brain daily and when she delivered him he was born brain dead. She kept him on life support but he passed away after six months. After this Monique was distraught. She felt like she had no purpose. She started using social media as a way to take her mind off things and would upload her hair care regimen. People noticed and began asking questions so she started with one homemade bottle of oil that she sold online.

From there it took off.

Mielle Organics launched in 2014 and it has been rapidly growing since then. Monique actually named the brand after her children’s middle names. Very creative.

I find her inspiring because she was able to grow what she loves into what she does.

It is hard being a college student, working and socializing. But I can not even imagine what it must be like to have a full time job, three kids and a husband. Here is an update of some things she has done since 2014:

In 2018, Monique partnered with iGlow mentoring. iGlow Mentoring is a non-profit organization in Chicago that gives teen girls the experiences and relationships to positively change their life. iGlow hosts networking events and takes the girls on trips to conferences with entrepreneurial women. With Monique and iGlow came the MiGlow awards. These are awards given to teen girls who go above and beyond even when life is throwing difficulties at them.

Fast forward to 2020, the More Than A Strand campaign was created. Initially, it was to promote healthy hair and empower mothers and young girls through education. Now it has expanded to support black entrepreneurs and their businesses, HBCU’s and nurses. Through More Than A Strand, students from HBCU’s can apply to win scholarships. Launching on May 1st, Monique and her husband will be launching a $250,000 reinvestment fund for Chicago.

Mielle Organics grew very rapidly and now ships to over 87 countries around the world. Monique has been able to handle the transition from nurse to entrepreneur with grace and self-motivation. She could have very easily had someone else do the work for her but she did it herself with her husband, right from her garage.

With a background in nursing Monique understood what kind of ingredients are important in products. She did the research to ensure her products are not loaded with chemicals that weigh down hair and destroy the cuticles. Instead, the products are rich with ingredients like ginger, pomegranate, honey and rosemary. On the website, not only is it user friendly, but women can take a hair quiz to see what kind of curls they have. Based on the curl type there are specific shampoos, conditioners and creams to help your curls thrive to their fullest potential.

I love Mielle Organics for what it does to my hair and I have Monique to thank for that.

Mielle Organics is only going up from here.

P.s. check out the site for yourself! You might find something you’ll like: Organic & Natural Hair Care Products for Natural Hair | MIELLE (mielleorganics.com)

Hello! I'm a senior Journalism student with a minor in Criminology. I have a love for books, anime and cats. You can often find me curled up on the couch with a romance novel while sipping some coffee.