Good Romantic Comedies to Watch for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching. What better way to celebrate than watching some cheesy romantic comedies? Whether you are spending the day with your significant other or your close friends, watching one of these movies is the perfect way to get into the festive spirit.

10 Things I Hate About You (1999) – Kat Stratford is a strongly opinionated student. Guys do not find her very appealing. Her father has a strict rule about dating. Bianca, her younger sister can not date until Kat finds a boyfriend. A boy who wants to date Bianca hires Pat to date Kat so he has a chance with Bianca. Of course, Kat finds out that Patrick was a setup. But is their chemistry actually real?

13 Going on 30 (2004) – Thirteen-year-old Jenna Rink is sick of the mean girl’s torture and embarrassing parents. She thinks that being older will solve her problems. On her birthday she wishes to be “30, flirty and thriving.” Her wish immediately comes true and suddenly she is living life as her 30-year-old self. Jenna realizes that being older is not what she imagined. Did she make a mistake and can she take it back?

50 First Dates (2004) – Henry Roth tries his best to win over Lucy Whitmore. The challenge? She has short-term memory loss. Lucy basically lives the same day over and over again. Despite the challenge of having to “meet” her and pursue her every day, Henry tries his best and deals with her condition because he really likes her. Can Henry continue to win Lucy over every day and convince her family that he truly loves her?

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003) – Magazine writer, Andie Anderson, must write an advice column about getting a man to date her and leave her in ten days, instead of writing what she really wishes to write about. Her editor makes her find a man for her experiment. Little does Andie know Ben Berry, the man she chose, made a deal with his friends that he can get any woman to fall in love with him within ten days. Will either of them complete their challenge or will they find there is a more important prize to win?

The Proposal (2009) – Margaret Tate, a book editor makes her assistant, Andrew Paxton, marry her so she does not get deported to Canada. She agrees to promote him, but only if he goes through with it. The two visit Andrew’s family’s house in Alaska to break the news of their engagement. Immigration officers are suspicious of the couple. Margaret and Andrew do not get along. They have to cover up their bickering in order to fake their love for each other until the wedding. Will they get down the aisle before Margret gets deported?

Each of these options is great for a Valentine’s Day movie date. Grab some chocolate and popcorn and get ready for the laughs and cute moments from these films.

Hi!! I'm Kelsey and I'm a senior strategic communication major at St. Bonaventure University. I love reading, writing, listening to podcasts and walking!