This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

There is so much to learn and discover. Sometimes life gets overwhelming and stressful. Many people tend to spend their free time relaxing, watching television or scrolling through social media. If you are trying to decrease your screen time, consider learning about your interests. There are many ways to learn more and find your interests. Try some of these tips to fit learning into your routine.

Take Classes

Course registration is always a fluster. Remembering which classes are only offered every few years is a pain. Choosing professors based on peer recommendations can be difficult. Making sure you’re meeting your degree requirements is tedious.

Next time you’re looking at classes to take, browse through the offerings. Schools offer a variety of courses. Interested in graphic design? Register for an introductory class. Want to learn more about indigenous groups? Sign up for a course on native and indigenous peoples. Trying to pick up a new hobby? Take a roller-skating class.

Reading Books

Reading up on topics that you find interesting is a good way to learn. Consider taking part of the time spent watching television or on social media and using it to read. Reading can bring you more peace and be a better way of relaxing. Even try reading before bed. Local community and school libraries should have a variety of books to browse from.

You can read books about historical events or time periods you find intriguing such as ancient Greece or the Titanic. There are also books that give demonstrations or tutorials. Read about crocheting or playing the keyboard if you are looking to pick up a new hobby.

Watching Videos

There are many educational videos and documentaries to watch. Find a documentary about World War II on the History Channel or learn more about marine life from a show on Animal Planet.

Content is uploaded daily to platforms such as YouTube and Skillshare. You can watch a tutorial on how to build your own bookshelf. Learn how to cook by taking a class on Skillshare or by following a video on YouTube. There is so much material out there to learn and practice from.

It’s important to build time into your day to discover your interests. By spending less time on social media, you can spend more of your time learning. Consider trying one of these tips to find something you enjoy. Who knows? You could find your new favorite hobby.

Hi!! I'm Kelsey and I'm a senior strategic communication major at St. Bonaventure University. I love reading, writing, listening to podcasts and walking!