Eating Your Way Around Olean

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Even though the Olean/Allegany area is so small and rural in comparison to larger cities, the food selection is quite extensive. The area offers restaurants, small and large, to accommodate anyone’s tastes and preferences. Because I’m from Olean, I’ve had a longer time to become familiarized and “eat my way around,” but once you start looking, it is so easy to find all of the amazing places this small, unsuspecting area has to offer.

I love breakfast foods and could eat them for every meal. Sprague’s Maple Farms in Portville, which obviously has to be on this list, offers breakfast all day and clocks in as my no. 1 best restaurant for breakfast in the area. They offer an extensive list of meals and you can choose to eat as much (like bottomless pancakes) or as little (like a yogurt parfait) as you want. My roommates and I can only be satisfied on hungover, sleepy Sundays if we go to Sprague’s. The location is beautiful, the food is great, and the people you share it with are even better. Home Plate in Olean has been a favorite of mine for as long as I can remember; their home-style breakfasts were shared by my parents and I on weekend mornings when I was younger. Along with these two, Union Tea Café has the best waffles in Olean and my friends and I love going to grab waffles there any time of day.

There are numerous options in the area for both lunch and dinner. It all depends on what you’re in the mood for. As a Bona’s student, you could never go wrong with a famous Burton burger, or bar food from Randy’s Up the River. So many places in the area offer specials or discounts if you have your student ID also! If you’re in the mood for something Mexican, La Roca in Allegany and El Mariachi in Olean have the best selections if you’re over the midnight Taco Bell trips. Many places in town offer Italian selections but my personal favorite authentic Italian is Angee’s in Olean. They have the most amazing food and drinks, with great specials every day. Places my friends and I go to for special lunches or dinners include Ravyn & Robyn in Olean, all the restaurants in Ellicottville, and Brother’s Bistro.

For being such a small area, I do believe that the towns around St. Bonaventure offer some great restaurants to lunch solo, with your best friends, or go on a date (or two or three), or entertain your family in for a visit. At first glance, it seems like there are no other options beyond the Hickey or La Verna, but look a little deeper, use some of my advice, and have yourself a great meal at one (or more… definitely more) of these amazing places the area has to offer.

Pittsburgh native, coffee lover, reading enthusiust