Campus Celebrity: JW Cook, ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Major: Political Science

Minor: Law and Society

Hometown: Brockport, N.Y.

Her Campus: “What activities are you involved in at Bonas?”

JW Cook: “I’m a member, or was a member, of Mock Trial. Now I am the VP of Mock Trial; this year I was treasurer. I was also the class president of 2017 my freshman and sophomore year. Next year I will be executive board treasurer. I am a peer coach, RA, student ambassador… And I think that’s about it.”

HC: “Wow, you’re very involved on campus. How do you balance your time?”

JC: “Well I really just take it one day at a time. I have a pretty good organizer, as far as an agenda that I plug everything into. I can see what’s coming up and I’m able to plan my classes and activities around it. So, I really just live by my calendar.”

HC: “Where do you see yourself in 10 years?”

JC: “Graduating from lawsSchool, then probably a member of the Monroe County district attorney’s office.”

HC: “What would you say your dream job would be?”

JC: “Definitely a congressman; I would love to get on Capitol Hill and work there. Or even a senator– that would be a great position too. Anything where I can effect change on a larger level.”

HC: “Who is your biggest inspiration?”

JC: “My mom has been a big inspiration to me. She’s an independent business owner and she pretty much raised me herself. So, she’s been my driving motivation throughout all these years. I owe her a lot of my success.”

HC: “What’s your favorite quote?”

JC: “By Winston Churchill, ‘You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.’“

HC: “What’s your favorite show to watch on Netflix?”

JC: “It’s a tie for me. I really enjoy ‘House of Cards,’ but at the same time I’m a big ‘Scandal’ guy too.””

HC: “You have a great sense of style; how would you describe it?”

JC: “I like to keep it business casual most of the time. But I mean definitely more of a preppy look. I take that from my mom, that blue-collar, conservative look.”

HC: “What are some of your favorite stores to shop for clothing?”

JC: “I really like Brooks Brothers. But if I’m looking for pants, I’ll go to Banana Republic or J. Crew.”

HC: “What is something that you think people would be surprised to know about you?”

JC: “I’m a pretty big car enthusiast.”

HC: “How would you describe your experience at Bonaventure so far?”

JC: “I think that it has been one of a lot of surprises. I’m surprised by the people I met here; they have been so nice and welcoming. I found a lot of close friends here that I think I will have for a lifetime. Coming into college you never really think about that, but now that I’ve been here for two full years, I can honestly say that this place is home. It’s a great place to learn and build friendships.”

Photo credit: image courtesy of JW Cook

St. Bonaventure University Journalism & Mass Communication and Strategic Communications & Digital Media double major. I'm from Binghamton, New York and SBU's Her Campus senior editor. My life is like my hair– messy and uncontrollable.
I'm a sophomore journalism and mass communication major at St. Bonaventure University.