Campus Celebrity: Chris Gilbert, ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Name: Chris Gilbert

Nicknames: I go by Chris.

Major: Strategic communication and digital media

Hometown: Rochester, New York

Favorite Activities: “I’m a big sports guy. I love baseball. I love football. I miss playing it but I also love watching. I’m into music and stuff like that too.”

Her Campus: “What inspired you to get involved in organizations like The Buzz and The Intrepid?”

Chris: “I think with me it was more about trying to make a difference. For me, it’s like, this is an opportunity for me to make my mark here on Bonaventure.”

(At this point, one of the Her Campus editors walked in on the interview and said, “Oh wait is this the interview? My bad.”)

Her Campus: “How long have you been involved with these organizations, and what were your roles in them prior to your recent promotions?” (Chris was recently promoted to assistant promotions director at The Buzz and video editor at The Intrepid.)

Chris: “So with The Intrepid, it’s pretty recent. With The Buzz, it’s been since my freshman year, but this is my first semester on the Board. Just those two or my other stuff?”

Her Campus: “Your other stuff is fine.”

Chris: “I’ve been part of Team Bonas since my sophomore year. I’ve been pretty involved in that. SBU TV Sports since last year, too.”

Her Campus: “What do you hope to achieve with your new responsibilities as part of these new positions?”

Chris: “For me it’s just about making a difference, I guess. I just really want when, a couple of years from now, people to look at the organizations that I had an impact on, that they know that I was able to make some type of difference. That’s really all I want to do, make some kind of impact or difference.”

Her Campus: “What motivated you to seek out these higher positions?”

Chris: “For me it was I’ve always strived to be a leader. I love being a leader and being able to have free range of things, so for me it was knowing that I could come in and do things differently, or do what’s needed to be done. I always strive to be a leader.”

Her Campus: “Do you have any higher aspirations or are you kind of comfortable at what you’ve achieved so far?”

Chris: “Here on campus, I’m pretty comfortable with where I am. I’m pretty busy as it is. The only thing is with Team Bonas, I do hopefully, eventually, become the president. That’s my only other aspiration and I’m working, I think I’m getting towards that, so it looks like that could soon possibly happen. Other than that I’m pretty happy with where I am. Just a lot going on.”

Her Campus: “You’ve mentioned some of them already, but what are your other involvements on campus?”

Chris: “The Buzz, The Intrepid, SBU TV Sports, Team Bonas… I think that’s all I do.”

Her Campus: “I heard you’re a peer coach too.”

Chris: “Oh yeah, I’m a peer coach leader!” (laughs)

Her Campus: “Is it hard to balance this level of involvement with your classes and all of your other activities?”

Chris: (laughs) “It is. But it’s worth it. At the end of the day I like what I’m doing and I know that what I’m doing, with one of these things I’m going to be doing for the rest of my life, so I know that it’s all worth it in the end.”

Her Campus: “Because you’re involved with The Buzz, what’s your favorite musician or band at the moment?”

Chris: “Right now? That’s a tough one. This is going to sound really weird, but my favorite song has always been ‘I Don’t Wanna Be’ by Gavin DeGraw.”

Her Campus: “That’s a really good one.”

Chris: “I really like Gavin DeGraw. I’d have to say he’s my favorite artist.”

Her Campus: “Because you’re involved with The Intrepid, what’s your favorite news outlet?”

Chris: Sports Illustrated.”

Her Campus: “I’ve got one last one here – is there anyone that you would want to endorse for Buzz Station Manager next semester?”

Chris: “We’re actually having our elections on Sunday, and it’s between two people, and I’d rather not say, just because I don’t want anyone to know my bias. But either Nate or Natalie is going to do a great job. I endorse both of them.” (laughs) 

Just a little egg growing up in the big city.
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.