This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

If you’re one of those people (like me) that does not have time for dressing up for class every day, you know the struggle of wanting to look nice, but not having it be high on your endless list of other priorities. Don’t get me wrong; I love makeup and looking nice, but when push comes to shove, I never end up taking the time out of my busy schedule to actually apply that cat eye or style my hair in more than a makeshift bun. I know that some women are able to balance school, work, social life all while looking fabulous to boot. For me though, I’ve just never valued trying to look like I walked off the runway every day when I go to class. At the same time though, sometimes I do wish I had more time to dedicate to pampering and looking good, just to feel more confident and develop my sense of style. As a result of wanting to look decent combined with a lack of time, I’ve developed a couple easy and simple tricks for looking like I tried to look nice without the burden of time that comes with most beauty and style routines.

1. Capitalize on the basics

Nailing the basics is probably the most important step to nailing the “I didn’t just wake up” look. When I say basics, I’m talking about outfit staples that go with any other item of clothing that you could want to put on. Black leggings, plain T-shirts, and neutral colored athletic sneakers are just a couple examples that I myself pick and choose from on a daily basis. Basics save time because they’re easy to implement in any outfit. When it comes to picking out what to wear each day, why waste time figuring out what shirt goes with what pants? Having a couple neutral colored (think black, navy, or tan) items in your wardrobe avoids the time spent trying to figure out what to wear in the morning.

2. Throw a pop of color

I didn’t know the value of color until my grandma gave me a scarf two years for Christmas. It was a rich fall red with intricate gold accents on one side and a rich gold with intricate red designs on the other. I cannot count how many compliments I’ve gotten while wearing this scarf. It’s one of my favorite pieces because it adds a flavor to literally any outfit that I want to wear. Combining this pop of color with neutral basic items flares any outfit that I decide to wear to class. Scarves are not the only way to add a pop of color to an outfit though. Whether it’s a scarf, a choice of bold glasses, hat, bright shirt, or shoes, bright colors make even the plainest outfits have some flare.

3. When accessorizing, keep it simple

Another favorite of mine is wearing simple accessories with my outfits. It doesn’t matter what accessory because frankly, some accessories are easier to put on and maintain than others, but finding the right accessory for me was another way that I figured out could really dress up my day to day choice of outfit. Rings ended up being my accessory of choice, if not for their classic elegance, but also for the convenience of quickly slipping them off and on when needed. I’m not much into bracelets, earrings, or necklaces for this reason, but everyone is different. The choice of accessory is really a personal one, but no matter what one chooses, they spice up any outfit.

4. Plan outfits the night before

Sometimes half the struggle of dressing up nice is assembling the outfit. When I’m up in the morning, I’m ready to go. I don’t want to pause to decide what I’m going to wear the whole day. How can I decide with so many choices? Part of the answer to this is to wear basics as I’ve mentioned, but by planning my outfits the night before have changed the game of my morning routine. When the pressures of the morning rush are a far off bridge to be crossed after I get my beauty rest, planning an outfit is not as intimidating or stressful, which makes the choice more of a bedtime ritual than a hassle.

These are just a couple small, time-saving ways I’ve managed to tweak my style to be more fashion forward. Am I the best dressed in the room every day I go to class? Absolutely not, but using these tricks has helped me feel more comfortable in my own skin when out and about throughout the day. So if you’re like me and have a super busy schedule with little to no patience for lengthy beauty routines, I hope some of these tips and tricks help you amp up your style game. Because no matter if you’re the fashionista who owns the runway, or the girl who wakes up 5 minutes before class on some (or most) days, every woman deserves to feel confidence and comfort in her own skin everyday regardless of her style choices.

As an honors student of St. Bonaventure University, it is my objective to pursue a career that will complement my passion for working with people, my dedication to exceeding goals, and my motivation to innovate. The industries that I hope to make a difference in are fashion, media, and business.