This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I would not describe myself as a people pleaser. If someone hates me, I generally don’t care. I don’t need everyone’s approval for everything I do. That being said, there are two people who I constantly need to impress: my mom and dad (a.k.a. two of my closest friends).

It may seem abnormal to hear that my parents are two of my best friends – because there are generational differences, and there are just some things you don’t talk about with your parents – but it’s the truth. Throughout my whole life, I have had them to look up to and lean on, something not everyone can say about their parents. I am so grateful for the relationship I have been able to maintain with them.

At times I feel guilty for bragging about how close I am with my parents. Not all my friends have the same luxury that I’ve been fortunate enough to enjoy. However, this relationship is truly so important to me. Being so close to them has shaped who I am. My personality, interests, goals, hobbies, etc. have all been affected by my mom and dad. For example, my dad and I love astronomy, museums and video games. My mom and I love reading, gossiping and playing cards. My parents are my greatest inspirations and my greatest role models. I always want them to be proud of me.

Academically, athletically, socially and comically – I’m always striving to do what will make my parents the happiest. And as the wonderful friends they are, I’m constantly informed of how proud they are no matter what. I should also make it clear my parents don’t force me to earn their approval. I choose to. It’s the least I can do to repay them for all they’ve done for me.

The other side of being good friends is constructive criticism – something I’m not always fond of. My parents’ criticism is never harsh or patronizing; it’s all in my best interest. That doesn’t stop me from pushing back, however. We bicker about my eating and sleeping habits. We argue about my minimal involvement in my social life and introverted tendencies. We squabble over my constant requests for pictures of our dog and a ride home. Our trivial disagreements are frequent but never detrimental.

Moving away from home has been really difficult. I miss my friends, my brother, my dog, my house and the freedom of summer. But I miss my parents more than anything. They have been there for every single thing (big or small) that has happened in my life, and now they’re not. Living 103 miles away from two of my besties is a vexatious thing to endure. I rely heavily on phone calls, FaceTimes, texts, and Snapchats for updates on their lives. I tell them anything and everything that happens to me here.

Usually, before high school seniors head off to college, people ask them what they are most excited about. The most common response? The independence!!! In my senior year, I was among one of the people excited about this. Now, I hate it. I miss living at home when my dad would randomly bring me a snack and my mom would walk in for a mid-day chat. I didn’t realize how much I loved small interactions like that.

At the end of the day, I know I can always count on my built-in best friends for support, a laugh, a virtual hug, or an emoji-laden text to lift my spirits. I wouldn’t trade our friendship for anything. And as I finish typing through happy tears, I’ll say one, last thing. Don’t neglect the relationships you can have with your parents. For me, it’s been one of the most formative parts of my life. Knowing they are proud of me all the time and that I have their unconditional support has saved my life on more than one occasion. If your parents are available to you, take advantage of it.

Delainey Muscato is a junior journalism major with philosophy and sociology minors. This year she is excited to be the brand deal manager, assistant events planner, and senior editor for the SBU chapter of Her Campus. In her weekly article for Her Campus, she usually writes about her personal experiences at college, as an intern, or just in life. Delainey is excited for her second year as a member of Her Campus and can’t wait to help new members be just as engaged in the club as her. Outside of Her Campus, Delainey is a very active journalist. She writes for a newspaper in Ellicottville, The Villager. These articles typically detail local events or highlight people in the area. She also just began writing for Tap into Greater Olean. This news site covers stories directly rooted in the Olean and Allegany area. This summer, Delainey spent five weeks studying abroad is Sorrento, Italy. In her free time, Delainey loves to spend time with her friends and family. She spends a lot of time reading on her porch at home. Delainey also loves to take her dog Nella on walks. Her favorite TV shows are The Office and Friends. Her favorite movie is Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. She also loves music and spends a lot of time discovering new music and perfecting her playlists. www.linkedin.com/in/delainey-muscato-b10134282