Bonnies on a Warpath

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

After a huge upset at #15 Dayton this past Saturday, the St. Bonaventure men’s basketball team is preparing for the upcoming A10 tournament that begins Wednesday, March 9 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.

On a rainy Wednesday night during midterm week, the Reilly Center filled up with students who wanted to make sure the Bonnies stayed on their grind. The obligation of studying couldn’t even attempt to stop these students from watching their team play. After her announcement regarding her recent cancer diagnosis, the president of St. Bonaventure, Sister Margaret, attended the game to show her support and joined the excitement in the student section. The crowd was booming with energy because of the promise of the future that lies ahead for this team. This game pit two of the A10’s best and highest-scoring backcourts, Bonaventure’s Jaylen Adams and Marcus Posley, vs. Duquesne’s Derrick Colter and Micah Mason. With the help of the Wolf Pack, the Bonnies got the win, 80-76. St. Bonaventure currently sits in fourth place, with their record resting at 11-4. The excitement for Brooklyn is becoming more and more real as the days go by, and the wins go up.

During March of 2014, in the quarterfinals of the A10 tournament, the Bonnies upset the then one-seeded St. Louis Billikens on a buzzer beater by Jordan Gathers. Chairs were thrown across the Hickey Dining Hall, and tables were flipped in overwhelming excitement. Immediately following that amazing shot, the entire St. Bonaventure campus became a ghost town, as students emptied their pockets and pinched pennies to see the Bonnies play in Brooklyn after watching that game-winning shot. Groups of students packed their bags and traveled down to New York City within hours of the big win. The next day, St. Bonaventure played St. Josephs at the Barclays Center, and lost 48-67. The hype was real, but unfortunately, the Bonnies ran out of gas.

This year, fans are hoping for some great, edge-of-your-seat games at the Barclays, as the Bonnies look to punch their ticket to the NCAA tournament. The basketball team has kept the Wolf Pack on their toes this season, ready and waiting for more thrilling wins. The Wolf Pack will be in full force in Brooklyn, bleeding brown and white.

It is a great time to be a Bonnie. 

Junior journalism and mass communications major at St. Bonaventure University 
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.