The Best Music of Summer 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Now that most of us are back up and running at school, whether it be high school or college, music is something that will always be there for us when we need it. Summer 2017 brought us plenty of good music. So, right before fall 2017 officially begins, let us review the songs in a list of 25 that I have whipped up; they basically sum up the summer and will instantly remind you of those sunny days full of spontaneous adventures.

In my opinion, if I had to choose one song that just screams “summer 2017,” and I certainly cannot be alone here, it would be “Despacito” by Luis Fonso and Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber. I don’t think I was able to go a full day without somehow hearing that song. That is without a doubt the top on my list regarding what came to be the most popular.

The other songs that I would put on a top 10 list would be the following: “Wild Thoughts” by DJ Khaled featuring Rihanna and Bryson Tiller, “Slide” by Calvin Harris featuring Frank Ocean and Migos (I will never forget going on a drive by myself on a warm, summer night blaring this song and the guy in the passenger seat in the car next to me at a red light screamed to me to turn it up).

Continuing, I have “Feel It Still” by Portugal The Man and “I’m The One” by DJ Khaled featuring Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, and Lil Wayne (it was impossible for me to get sick of this song—I mean, look at that stacked line-up of featured artists!),

“Passionfruit” by Drake, “Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran, “Malibu” by Miley Cyrus, “Something Just Like This” by The Chainsmokers and Coldplay, and “Body Like a Backroad” by Sam Hunt (I’m not a country fan but this song was a jam during the summer).

The other solid honorable mentions to wrap up my list of the Top 25 are, in no particular order here, “Stay” by Zedd featuring Alessia Cara, “Green Light” by Lorde, “Swalla” by Jason Derulo featuring Nicki Minaj and Ty Dolla $ign, “It Ain’t Me” by Kygo featuring Selena Gomez, “I Feel It Coming” by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk, “The Man” by The Killers, “Don’t Take The Money” by Bleachers, “Young Dumb & Broke” by Khalid, “Attention” by Charlie Puth, “XO TOUR Llif3” by Lil Uzi Vert, “Most Girls” by Hailee Steinfeld, “Want You Back” by HAIM, “do re mi” by blackbear featuring Gucci Mane, “Feels Like Summer” by Weezer, and “Sorry Not Sorry” by Demi Lovato.

There were tons of other great songs that helped define summer break, but these were the ones that really stuck out to me. If you strongly agree or strongly disagree, be sure to let me know! If you have any other ideas of songs that deserve to be on this list, let me know, too—I will happily accept your argument!

That being said, I am looking forward to all the new music that will be released this fall, and even this winter. That’s the amazing thing about music—the music world is constantly broadening and there is never a day where new songs are not being released!

Pittsburgh native, coffee lover, reading enthusiust