The Benefits of Having a Mom as a Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Growing up, I always thought that it was a little weird that my mom was younger than all my friend’s moms. But now that I am in college it honestly couldn’t be better. She is so cool and understanding of everything, and truly is my best friend. Below are just a few examples of why being your mom’s best friend is the greatest thing EVER:

1.She knows you. Not only does your mom know your every emotion and what causes it, but she also is always there to listen to you. She knows when you want to talk and when you want to be left alone. Sometimes, I think that my mom knows me better than I know myself.

2.You can talk to her about anything. Because my mom isn’t even 40 yet (sorry for disclosing your age, Mom) I’ve always found it a little easier to talk to her about certain things. It wasn’t that long ago that she was in college, so times really aren’t that different as much as I may say they are. Because of this, I can talk to her about boys in my life or the parties that I went to the night before without it being awkward and silent on the phone.

3.Random texts and calls from her make your day. Even though I’m only two hours away from home, my mom and I text almost every day, even if its just a quick “I love you” text. But sometimes those texts are what keep me going. Those days when I just want to crawl into bed and sleep forever and give up on school are the days when I need my mom the most, and I swear she can sense that. There really is nothing better than a mom that loves and cares for you.

4.She sticks around when everyone else leaves. There may be those days when you feel like no one gets you. However, your mom will always be there. She’ll never leave or abandon you, no matter what.

I love you, Mom. Thank you for everything that you do. And for those that consider your mom to be your best friend, make sure you let them know how much you love them too. 

Wegmans lover. Probably more coffee in my bloodstream than oxygen. Sophistiratchet.
A junior at St. Bonaventure University majoring in Journalism/Mass Communications and French. She can always be found with a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee in hand, at the gym attempting to do yoga, or binge watching Grey's Anatomy with Ben&Jerry's. You can follow her on twitter @emilyrosman or on Instagram emilyrosman.