This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

As journalism majors, our options are wide open when it comes to a future career.  Whether it’s newswriting, blogging, editing or public relations, we have plenty of opportunities.

Looking around the personnel of my journalism classes, the ratio of men to women seems fairly similar.  There isn’t an abundance of one particular sex.  However, our genders have an impact on why we are there.  Typically, the men are there to learn about a career in sports, whether it’s traditional writing or broadcast.  On the other hand, women are generally open to many topics.

So, other than being vastly outnumbered, what’s it like being a woman pursuing a career in sports journalism?

Even though it’s becoming more common for women to work in the world of sports, we’re still expected to keep our opinions to ourselves.  Now, nobody tells us we can’t speak, but the (unsubtle) eye rolls imply it.  We aren’t viewed as being as knowledgeable as men in our own field.  Even if a man hasn’t played in an actual 5-on-5 basketball game before, some feel as though their Sports Center addiction will suffice.  Congratulations, you took the words right out of Scott Van Pelt’s mouth.  Sadly, I’ve gotten used to having my opinions overlooked and often keep them to myself.  But confidence is key, right? 

However, it’s the indirect comments that irritate me the most.  The, “You should really just be on camera” and “Why don’t you just become a weather girl?” comments.  While a majority of these people are not intentionally trying to write me off and disregard my work, it still strikes me as bothersome.  To me, that individual is implying that I’m an incompetent writer and that my sports knowledge isn’t up to par. 

It’s the whole attractive, female stereotype b*******, which society has somehow made into the most valued trait a woman can have.  She might be a stronger writer and ask better interview questions than her male counterparts, but the only thing our culture will take notice of is her outfit or whether or not she’s been doing her crunches. 

Now, don’t get me wrong.  I wouldn’t be opposed to on-camera interviews.  Heck, I love Erin Andrews.  But Andrews is more than pretty blonde hair and a nice body.  She understands the games and knows the players just as well as anyone.  She’s confident, and confident women intimidate people. 

Overall, working in any male-dominated field can be a struggle for women.  The negative comments and looks will become the norm and growing accustomed to them is necessary.  Although cliché, remaining confident is vital for success and will ultimately earn you more respect.  

Photo credit: 1

Junior. Sports Fanatic. Lover of Words. Coffee Addict. Dreamer.
I'm a sophomore journalism and mass communication major at St. Bonaventure University.