Answering the Question of “What’s Lex Reading?”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Let’s start by acknowledging the elephant in the room: I didn’t read that many books last year, five to be exact, which is pretty disappointing for someone who loves to read.

I won’t be too hard on myself, though, as 2023 marked the end of high school, among other ends, and even more beginnings. I had to learn how to balance my social life in college with my academics. I was often busy somewhere on campus and when I did have downtime, I would fill it with scrolling social media. I’d love to say that 2024 will be my year of less screentime and more reading. It’s a great goal, but it’s not like I can simply adjust myself to spend every minute of downtime with a book in my hand instead of my more easily accessible phone.

I am determined to, at the very least, read the books on this list to lower my TBR number and finally settle in with some well-loved authors while also discovering some new favorites.

First up is: Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

When I finished The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo at the beginning of 2023, I knew that I had to pick up another Taylor Jenkins Reid novel. This one has yet to be read simply because I have been told that you MUST listen to Fleetwood Mac while you read the book. I’ve heard that this really enhances the experience, and honestly, who doesn’t love a little Stevie Nicks.

Next, we have: Funny Story by Emily Henry

If you have become a book girly recently, I’m sure you know who Emily Henry is. I often feel like a fake fan when I talk about her writing, as I have not read People We Meet on Vacation. I am honestly a little nervous for this new release because I was not in love with Happy Place, which came out last spring. However, I did devour both Book Lovers and Beach Read, so there is still hope!

I must read: The Pairing by Casey McQuiston

After reading Red, White, and Royal Blue in 2020, I knew that I would have to read everything Casey McQuiston publishes. They are a queer, non-binary author whose goal has been to publish romantic comedies about queer people to increase positive representation. Just like with Emily Henry, I feel like a fake fan of theirs because I have yet to read One Last Stop, even though it came out in 2021. The cover for The Pairing was released on January 17th and I already have so many questions that can only be answered by diving into this upcoming release!

Finally, I would love to read: Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt

I plan to enter this book with very limited knowledge on it. My high school English teacher highly recommended this book and has even offered to loan it to me. But, since she is an English teacher, anything that she really loves is guaranteed to pique my interest, since she has such a diverse knowledge of books.

Best of luck to all the book girlies out there! This is our year to crush those reading goals!

Alexis Serio is a new writer for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. She plans to write pieces surrounding topics of feminism, entertainment, and campus life. Alexis is a freshman studying Communication, Social Justice, and Advocacy. Beyond Her Campus, Alexis spends her time studying with friends and getting involved in the many clubs SBU has to offer. In her free time, you can find Alexis reading, watching Modern Family, or making her friends laugh when it's "Alexis Time". She is also a lover of almost any type of music, as long as she can sing along with it.