This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

In early 2021, my high school was doing classes online due to a large number of previous COVID-19 cases in the area. This led to a lot of free time that I usually spent binging Netflix for days on end. One early morning in January, I was ready to log off of my history class when my teacher said we should all check out the president’s inauguration that was on that day. I then decided to put it on my television while I did homework and finished the rest of my classes. At this event, I as well as many other people watching around the country, was introduced to Amanda Gorman. 

“We’ve learned that quiet isn’t always peace, and the norms and notions of what “just” is isn’t always justice.”

Amanda Gorman

Gorman is the youngest poet to ever read at a presidential inauguration at the age of 22. She presented her poem, “The Hill We Climb” which was written as a response to the 2020 presidential election and the events of January 6. This poem was to bring unity to a divided nation, serve as a reminder of the past and build hope for the future. Gorman received great acclaim for the work from critics, notable figures and everyday citizens of the U.S. This poem really stuck out to me when I was struggling with a lot of new changes. At this time, I was deciding on colleges and what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, but also going through the effects of covid with the rest of the world and watching it put a negative light on my senior year of high school.  

“Somehow we weathered and witnessed a nation that isn’t broken, but simply unfinished.”

Amanda Gorman

I remember this quote really sticking out to me when I first heard it. Not only was this a reference to the state of our country, but it also felt like a reflection of life. The things that try to break you and tear you down only make you stronger and can be great pieces to your unfinished story. With the help of this poem, I was able to remember that even though bad things can happen, we are meant to overcome them.

“For there is always light, if only we’re brave enough to see it.

If only we’re brave enough to be it.”

Amanda Gorman

Since this event, Gorman has been on the cover of Time magazine, was the first poet to be on the cover of Vogue, became a representative to promote literacy for women and co-hosted the 2021 Met Gala. She has also continued to write and publish poetry in the hopes of action in 2022 after the Uvalde school shooting in Texas, and to show support for Roe v. Wade after the overturning of the decision made by the Supreme Court. She will continue to be a leader and inspiration in the movement for change for many years to come. 

Delaney Chase is the co-campus correspondent for the St. Bonaventure University Her Campus chapter. She works with the other campus correspondent and various board members to communicate with the rest of the Her Campus community as well as edit articles and lead weekly meetings. Delaney is a junior and is currently studying journalism and political science. She also is a writer for TAP into Greater Olean, an online news platform in the St. Bonaventure area, as well as a captain of the St. Bonaventure Women's Club Basketball team and Vice President of SBU for Equality. She enjoys hearing and sharing experiences with those of similar interests and enjoys being involved in different activities across the SBU campus. She finds this a great way to gain connections with those at her university and in nearby areas. She is enjoys the ability to gain experience and further her knowledge of the communications field. Outside of her time in school, Delaney loves listening to Taylor Swift and will take absolutely any opportunity to bring her up in conversation. She can often be found at the campus Starbucks with her friends ordering a pumpkin spice latte or brown sugar oat milk shaken espresso. She enjoys reading classic novels but also loves watching the trashiest reality TV shows.