Album Review: Home of the Strange by Young the Giant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Young the Giant has been one of my favorite alternative-rock artists for quite some time now. But their newest album, Home of the Strange, released August 12, 2016 really is “something to believe in.”

Fans of their older music may be most aware of songs such as “Mind over Matter” or “Cough Syrup,” both of which hold a subtle melody and lyrical influence from Chris Martin of Coldplay. Believe me, this influence isn’t lost, but rather strengthened and more refined; allowing a mix of hard anthems and soft melodies. Both are equally catchy. Aside from the new sound, this album dismissed any and all doubts listeners may have previously had for this Orange County band’s success.

A bit overshadowed in the past by artists such as Vampire Weekend and Arcade Fire back in 2010, Young the Giant finally released a very different album; one that exemplifies the strong, deep vocals of lead singer Sameer Gadhia, maintains quite beautiful lyrics, and experiments more with electronic sounds.

This California quintet always brought a bit of diversity to the table, each member hailing from Indian, Persian, and Canadian families. So, titling the album Home of the Strange and the first track of the album “Amerika” was a very political and moving way to exemplify their unique blend of sound, culture, and appreciation for their manifold fans.

Yes, I am inclined to appreciate their music more than the average alternative listener. I have seen Young the Giant perform once live in the past and enjoyed every minute of it.

Sameer Gadhia performing at the Buffalo Outer Harbor on July 11th, 2014. PC: Tierney McGilvray

But to me, the track entitled “Home of the Strange” doesn’t really do too much for the rest of the album. Compared to the rhythm and flow of songs like the hard-hitting and honest words of “Mr. Know-It-All,” and the soft-spoken sound and story of “Titus was Born, “Home of the Strange” just isn’t as successful. It most certainly does not deserve to share the same name as the album.

I can’t complain though, as I’ve found myself listening and re-listening to this entire album from start to finish between classes, at the gym, and while running. Most songs offer great beats that mirror each footstep you take. I’ve even gone so far as to post some of my favorite lyrics around my dorm.

These include:

“It gets old when you talk to the sun, in a tongue understood by no one” – “Something to Believe in.”

“You’re Mr. Know-It-All, she’s staring at her phone, and even though you sit together, you feel so alone.” from “Mr. Know-It-All,”

and “Clothes on the floor, but the bed’s on the ceiling. Slurring my lines, but I’m nailing the meaning.” From “Silvertongue.”

I’m a little disappointed though, to have found that The Rolling Stone gave this album a three out of five stars. Aside from that rating, most other reviews make it very clear that they either love or hate this album.

But I for one, am in love.

Buffalo native, creative by nature.
I'm a Junior Strategic Communications major at Saint Bonaventure University, also known as the greatest place on earth. Hobbies include eating ridiculous amounts of food, watching Scandal and swimming. I'm probably wearing converse.