Adjusting To School After Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Going back to school is tough…here’s how you can adjust!

You spent the holidays stuffing your face with sweets and delicious homemade meals. You laid around the house binge-watching Netflix and Disney+ for weeks. Odds are, you’re back at school now, and the transition was probably a little weird. Going back to school can be hard, so here are some ways to cope with the motions of college life during the new semester.

For starters, don’t be afraid to take it slow during your first few weeks back. It’s okay to take your time figuring out your schedule. If you’re the type who likes to stay organized, it’s probably a good idea to plan out times for eating, sleeping, studying, and free time during the week. For example, you could decide to begin working on homework assignments at 4 p.m. every day and go to bed at midnight. It’s all up to personal preference and what works best for you.

Next, set goals! Going back to school and starting a new semester is a great opportunity to become a better, more productive version of yourself. Whether you want to kill that bad procrastination habit, eat healthier, or anything else really, now is the perfect chance to get cracking. You may want to put together a guide to help you achieve your goals. Keep in mind that if things don’t go the way you want them to, you are always able to start again.

Get involved! Join a new club or try out an activity or event that you haven’t been to before. If you see or hear of something you think you might enjoy, go to an interest meeting or send the club leader an email.

St. Bonaventure’s new gaming room contains fun games like Super Smash Bros., and FIFA, and other ESports games. Overwatch and Minecraft are being added soon, so you can chill out and get your mind off of things, or compete in tournaments to win prizes.

The radio station WSBU-FM 88.3 The Buzz has new open slots every semester, so if being a radio DJ sounds like a cool gig to you, go for it!

If you’d like to write more and develop your skills, you can try writing for the school newspaper or one of the online magazines (like this one, the Buzzworthy, or The Intrepid). These are just a few of the many clubs offered on campus.

As for events, the Campus Activity Board holds events such as Gift Card Bingo, trivia nights, special performances, and much more!

Don’t forget to spend time with friends. Socializing with the people you care about is a crucial part of having a healthy lifestyle in college. Allow yourself the time to take it easy and enjoy hangouts. If you spent a lot of time being cooped up in your room last semester, get up and go on some mini adventures with your pals.

Remember to work hard, but also be mindful of your mental health this semester. Never forget that it’s perfectly fine to take some time for yourself and relax.

Senior strat comm major :)
Strategic Communications Major Marketing Minor SBU Her Campus Board SBU Cheerleading  Author of alleyesonher20.wordpress.com