Add These Top 10 Halloween Movies to Your Spooky Season Checklist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

You’re probably reading this article snuggled up under three fuzzy blankets with the lights dimmed and toe socks on that say “Trick or Treat” (thanks mom), searching through Netflix, trying to find the right spooky movie but can’t. I have spent countless hours flipping through movies, getting 20 minutes through one and changing it because it was so bad. Here is a list of 10 spooky movies that will either make you laugh because they’re so corny or make you sleep with the lights on because you’re so scared of what will come out of the dark.

10: The Void

This is one of the creepiest movies I have ever seen. It is about this cop who sees a man limping out of the woods and rushes him to the hospital. While in the hospital these cloaked figures who appear to be in a cult surround the hospital while everyone inside slowly goes insane. This movie has it all: Cults, monsters, gore and maybe some aliens. It’s very spooky, so watch with friends!

9: Saw

Many people hate these movies because of how gory and twisted they are, but this whole franchise is perfectly put together. Watch all the eight movies (including Jigsaw) to understand how they all connect together. Don’t watch if you get queasy easily because it is very gory.

8: The Addams Family

A classic movie that is not scary but puts you in the Halloween mood. Lots of laughter will come from watching this. This is a movie you can watch either by yourself or with friends to have a laugh. Last year I was Wednesday Addams for Halloween, but no one really saw the resemblance.

7: It Follows

A very weird movie that I watched for the first time a couple years ago. It’s about this thing that follows you, but it can only walk and if it catches up to you then you die. The only way to get rid of it is to have sex with someone and pass it on to them.

6: Hush

This movie is a great scary movie. It takes place in the middle of the woods with a deaf writer who lives alone. A stranger comes up to her house and tries to kill her, knowing she is alone and can’t hear a thing. I would watch this with friends so you all can jump and scream together.

5: 28 Days Later

Do you like zombie movies? Well this one is for you. These zombies aren’t like the ones in the Walking Dead. They are fast and ruthless. If you watch this movie and like it try out 28 Weeks Later. I watched this alone and loved every second of it.

4: Silence of the Lambs

An amazing thriller about Hannibal Lector (the cannibal) and an FBI agent Clarice Starling who doesn’t take sh*t from anyone. This is kind of an old movie but will always remain a classic. The scene in the Office when Dwight cuts off the CPR mannequins face off is in reference to a scene in this movie.

3: The Sixth Sense

If you know M. Night Shyamalan, then you know his movies come with a twist. This movie is a classic and, in my opinion, his best work. Kind of a long movie but if you stick to it and pay attention throughout you will not be disappointed with the twist at the end. If you watch it with friends, try your best not to spoil anything.

2: Veronica

A film that takes place in Madrid starring a high school girl and her friends who use a Ouija board and is being followed by a demon. Watch it with your girlfriends and promise each other to never think about using a Ouija board.

1: Halloween

How could I not include the most Halloween movie of all time? A great series starring Jamie Lee Curtis trying to fight the brutal killer, Michael Myers. You may have seen some trailers for the new Halloween movie coming out which consists of her final battle with Michael Myers. A must-see for all lovers of anything spooky.

Sophomore Crim/Psych major at St. Bonaventure.
As an honors student of St. Bonaventure University, it is my objective to pursue a career that will complement my passion for working with people, my dedication to exceeding goals, and my motivation to innovate. The industries that I hope to make a difference in are fashion, media, and business.