Activism Meets Poetry: Amanda Gorman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Two of my favorite things are activism and poetry.

During this Black History Month, I wanted to highlight one of my idols, Amanda Gorman. She saw a rise in popularity when she become the United States youngest inaugural speaker and rung in the start of President Biden’s presidency with her incredible 2021 poem entitled “The Hill We Climb”.

Also in 2021, she put out the works “Call Us What We Carry” as well as a children’s book entitled “Change Sings”.

She uses her talent of piecing words together to target matters of oppression that ail our country such as racism, sexism and marginalization.

I have found her work to be very impactful and really look up to her and all she has accomplished in her life as a 25 year old.

Also… she graduated from Harvard. Slight flex.

In honor of this special month as well as the implications of her work, here are five beautiful quotes of hers.

We’ve learned that quiet isn’t always peace

– Call Us What We Carry

I love this one. Often with the state of our world we feel like the best option is to stay quiet, but that often doesn’t mean we are okay with what’s going on. Sometimes, we have to stop being quiet to make change, and that’s okay.

Realize areas of your life where you are just sitting in a forced silence, and be loud!

For there is always light, if only we’re brave enough to see it. If only we’re brave enough to be it.

– The Hill We Climb

This quote is so beautiful. I feel like it can provide such optimism and encouragement in dark times. Moments where we feel like all hope is lost can provide us with moments where we can look inside ourselves and find it.

Be the change you wish to see. Be the light.

There is no better compass than compassion

– Call Us What We Carry

I am a person who strongly believes in a leading a kind and compassionate life. This quote encompasses the importance of making decisions with a kind heart, compassion and an empathetic spirit as guidance for all things.

A huge narrative that Gorman wishes to spread… be kind people! Take a second to try and understand life for other people and the problems they face.

Only when we are drowning do we understand how fierce our feet can kick

– Call Us What We Carry

So many experiences in life come with a huge emotional and physical toil. What matters most and what is reiterated in this quote is that we ultimately come back from these things and survive.

I feel like we often don’t give ourselves credit for what we have gotten through, and this quote can help reflect that. You were drowning, struggling in a horrific way but made it out and discovered your strength.

This also translates to activism, since movements for social change are combatting a monumental struggle that can feel similar to thrashing for your life under the water.

The only way to correctly predict the future is to pave it, is to brave it

– Call Us What We Carry

I am a strong believer in the fact that we are the future. We can pave the future that we want to see individually and even on a larger nationwide scale. All it takes is the bravery of believing in ourselves and the initiative to actually work towards what you wish to live through someday.

Like I have already said in this article and a huge theme of Gorman’s work: BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE!

In conclusion, Amanda Gorman is an iconic African American as well as a strong, inspiring woman.

I hope these quotes resonated with you as much as they did me.

Most importantly, take time this month to honor the people it was made for.

Audney Burnside is a new writer for the St. Bonaventure Her Campus chapter. She publishes articles weekly, spanning the topics of music, lifestyle and popular culture. She hopes to further the amazing creativity that her chapter of Her Campus has to share with the world. Audney is currently a freshman at St. Bonaventure University, studying Public Health in the 3+2 Occupational Therapy Master's program. A new college student, as well as a new member of Her Campus, Audney brings her history of involvement in many programs at her high school, Le Roy Jr/Sr High School. She was the project manager of her chapter of the National Honor society, had the opportunity to write a couple of pieces for the local paper, served her community habitually as a member of her towns Rotary InterACT, and led a team in Scholastic Bowl. As well as Her Campus, Audney is a member of SBU’s honors program, SBU for Equality, and Bona Buddies. Apart from academics, Audney’s life revolves around the music she loves, outdoorsy adventures, and her best friends. Audney is a devoted cat mom and enthusiastic nature explorer, who loves kayaking with her family, takes way too much pride in her recent Taylor Swift concert attendance, and will bring up The Catcher in the Rye at any moment possible.