Acne Struggles: Why it’s Not the End of the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

It all started when I was 12. That’s when it hit me. The red spots came in packs and took over my face. I was anything but happy. Why did this have to happen to me? I haven’t done anything wrong, at least as far as I was aware. Of course, I knew that this was perfectly natural; everyone breaks out and everyone has acne.

This isn’t true.

Naturally, at the time, I was friends with people that had wonderfully clear skin. Even when they did break out, it wasn’t a real breakout. It was one little pimple and they would complain about it for hours while I sat back and sulked, thinking about how my face was covered.

Going into high school, my skin was just as bad and as annoying as it had been in middle school. It only got worse as I grew older—the worst being my senior year. Where was my glow up? Why didn’t I get to look as good as everyone else? Instead, I had short hair and a pizza face.

However, now coming into my freshman year of college, my skin has instantly perked up due to less stress from foods, the environment I am in and a few more things that started to help improve my skin. Like most of the skin improvement memes that you may have seen floating around on the internet lately, I have three main things that helped my skin improve:

1. Rose water!

Rose water nearly cleared my skin all the way up! It’s a natural toner and it smells beautiful!

2. Go to your Dermatologist or Doctor

They know you and your skin the best, so please go if you want your skin to get any better. Whether they provide you topical cream or antibiotics, it will help your skin. And if it doesn’t, they will find a way to help you!

3. Drink water

I know everyone says to do it— but trust me, it really does work! And if it doesn’t, oh well, at least you’re drinking water and that is still very good for you.

It’s important to remember that your skin does not define you, and it can and will eventually get better if you keep trying and working towards self-improvement. Self-love comes from the inside not the out.

Pittsburgh native, coffee lover, reading enthusiust