A Love Letter to Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

A week from the day I type this article, I will be driving home to my family for Thanksgiving break. I can already picture the exuberant hugs and kisses I will receive from my family. My heart warms as I think of all of my loved ones gathering in one place — my own home.

My parents have hosted Thanksgiving since we moved into our new home, about 12 years ago. Hosting such a holiday was symbolic to my parents because our previous home was not large enough to entertain all of our friends and family under one roof. I swear my mom was born a natural hostess, a trait I quickly adopted after working in a restaurant and being raised by Italian women. Food is the focal point of our conversations and all family events. While I love a good white Christmas or sunny Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving will always trigger a distinctive sense of nostalgia for me. It brings us all back to the basics, sharing a meal with good company and conversation. There is no emphasis on gifts or flashy materials. I may be biased between my love of fall and the fact that my house is where we gather for Thanksgiving, but I truly feel this holiday has a special element to it. 

Thanksgiving is a holiday comprised of traditions for my family and me. We wake up to watch the parade as we begin cooking, baking and decorating. As early as 8 a.m., the scents of Thanksgiving food flood our entire home. It is somewhat chaotic, but we embrace the madness as we eagerly anticipate the arrival of our family. My mom sends out instructions — someone has to vacuum, the table needs knives, and my dad must run to the convenience store at the last minute for drinks and ice. 

As my family arrives, they notice the “thankful tree” on display in our foyer each year. They are met with paper leaves and sharpies and are asked to write down what they are thankful for (with one exception). No cliches are allowed. The words “family” and “friends” are strictly prohibited. In a somewhat cheesy but touching tradition. We go around the table and each shares what we are thankful for and why. This creates an organic conversation centered around gratitude and love. It reminds us of the simple things in life that we often forget to appreciate. 

I feel that this thanksgiving will be particularly significant. Although I cherish every family holiday, I believe that my first holiday at home since being away at college will feel especially meaningful. I am looking forward to the pasta, pies and turkey, but most importantly: seeing the people I love and cherish so much. 

Katie is a social media executive for Her Campus at St. Bonaventure University. Her experience with social media, advertising, and writing allow her to combine her passions and advance her university's chapter of HC. She has been a part of Her Campus since freshman year. It has been her favorite on-campus extracurricular to become involved with. Katie is a second-year student studying Strategic Communication and Marketing. She finds joy in being involved on campus through various organizations including Her Campus, Jandoli Women in Communication, and College Democrats. She is Vice President of SBU's Freshman Leadership Program. She is also a full-time student ambassador who enthusiastically leads tours for prospective students. (Request her as your tour guide!) In her free time, you can find Katie reading, hiking, and laughing with her friends. She loves spending time outdoors, especially in the fall. Her guilty pleasures are copious amounts of (iced) coffee and country music. Some of her favorite artists include Chris Stapleton, Fleetwood Mac, and Luke Combs. Katie will eagerly engage in any conversation about her beloved hometown, Buffalo, New York. She will likely attempt to convert you to become a Buffalo Bills fan, and could talk about Josh Allen for hours. Post-grad, Katie hopes to be using her creative talents towards a fulfilling career in the world of advertising.