This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

I like to think I am somewhat of a creative genius. Over the years, I have had some very creative, and a tad unorthodox, Halloween costumes. I don’t know how I get these incredible ideas, they just pop into my head.

Way back when, before I had the ability to dress myself and execute my own ideas, my mom would choose my Halloween costumes for me. As a baby and toddler, I was dressed as a fluffy yellow duck, a red chili pepper, Winnie the Pooh, and a pumpkin. Sure, these costumes are all cute and cuddly, but they lack a certain creativity that only I could bring to the table.

Uncle Si from “Duck Dynasty”

If you have never seen “Duck Dynasty”, basically it is a show about a family that owns a business that sells duck hunting equipment. They are super red neck and Christian and my family was obsessed with watching their show for quite a while. Arguably the most eclectic and hilarious of these characters was Uncle Si. He always had funny one-liners and quirky anecdotes. So naturally, I chose to don camo pants, a black waffle-cut shirt, a large camo jacket, dark sunglasses, and a thick fake grey beard. It might not have been the most aesthetically pleasing costume, but it was accurate, and I was warm enough to trick-or-treat until the wee hours of the night.

Dorothy

Despite the fact I have never watched the Judy Garland version of “Wizard of Oz”, I replicated the character perfectly. The braids, the bows, the dress, the dog – it was impeccable. I have naturally long brown hair that worked perfectly for this costume. I found a pretty cheap but accurate dress and threw on some red converse for a more modern take on the ruby slippers. I remember getting a lot of compliments (and candy) this Halloween.

Rosie the Riveter

This was 100% the cheapest costume I ever did but maybe the most accurate. I had all the clothes at home – a button-up denim shirt, black leggings, and a red bandana. I also had red lipstick and eyeliner at home, so the costume was basically free. I did this costume with a friend and we both got recognized by almost everybody. Some younger kids did not know who we were, but they aren’t the ones giving out candy so who cares?

Rockstar

MY BEST COSTUME EVER. This look had everything. A leather jacket, neon pink fingerless fishnet gloves, plaid skirt, studded boots, and a crazy purple wig to top it all off. The wig was itchy, the jacket was loud, and the gloves kept ripping, but I endured it all for the whole night to keep the best look ever together. I think this costume got me so much candy.

I also dressed as an old woman, a witch, and a clown in the middle of the killer clown epidemic. These costumes were good, but they don’t fully merit their own paragraphs. This year I am dressing as snow white and Rodrick Heffley.

Halloween is so much fun and a great artistic outlet. Feel free to use any of my past costumes as inspiration or get creative and make original costumes.

Delainey Muscato is a junior journalism major with philosophy and sociology minors. This year she is excited to be the brand deal manager, assistant events planner, and senior editor for the SBU chapter of Her Campus. In her weekly article for Her Campus, she usually writes about her personal experiences at college, as an intern, or just in life. Delainey is excited for her second year as a member of Her Campus and can’t wait to help new members be just as engaged in the club as her. Outside of Her Campus, Delainey is a very active journalist. She writes for a newspaper in Ellicottville, The Villager. These articles typically detail local events or highlight people in the area. She also just began writing for Tap into Greater Olean. This news site covers stories directly rooted in the Olean and Allegany area. This summer, Delainey spent five weeks studying abroad is Sorrento, Italy. In her free time, Delainey loves to spend time with her friends and family. She spends a lot of time reading on her porch at home. Delainey also loves to take her dog Nella on walks. Her favorite TV shows are The Office and Friends. Her favorite movie is Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. She also loves music and spends a lot of time discovering new music and perfecting her playlists. www.linkedin.com/in/delainey-muscato-b10134282