This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

This week marks the beginning of Black History Month, a time of year where we celebrate and honor the voices and contributions that Black people have made in our country and around the world. In the world of television, Black actors, directors and stories are getting more and more recognition for their excellence. Recently, historic wins were made at the 2023 Emmys with Ayo Edebiri and Quinta Brunson winning for the supporting and lead comedy actresses in their respective shows, The Bear and Abbott Elementary. Both of these shows deserve a watch as these actresses put on outstanding performances, deserving of these awards. However, there is still a lack of recognition that movies and shows focused on Black characters get. White actors and producers still outnumber those who get these recognitions from The Academy, leaving so many incredible stories centered around Black characters to fade into the background. So, here are some movies lead by Black main characters and stories to watch this Black History Month.

If Beale Street Could Talk

If you want to cry, watch this movie. Adapted from James Baldwin’s novel of the same name, this movie follows Fonny and Tish, two young lovers in Harlem in the 1970s, as their life is derailed when Fonny is arrested for a crime he did not commit. The movie shows how their friendship developed into deep love and respect for each other, making the unjustness of Fonny’s conviction even more devastating as you get to know him and see how undeserving he is of such treatment. Through Tish and Fonny’s story, the corruption and racism of the justice system in the U.S. is shown in full light as the tragedy of their story tears through your heart.

Love & Basketball

This iconic romance follows Quincy and Monica, two childhood friends who fall in love while both chasing their dreams of becoming basketball stars. Their love faces some challenges as their aspirations start to put distance between them.

Hidden Figures

In the 1960s during the space race, three African-American women provided crucial roles in helping NASA send the first U.S. man into space. This biopic follows, Katherine G. Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, and Mary Jackson as they defy both racist and sexist legislation while striving to succeed at excelling in their field. Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, and Janelle Monae all put in stellar performances of these women who paved the way for future women of color in STEM.

BlackkKlansman

Inspired by true events, this crime “dramedy” follows a young African-American police officer in Colorado during the early 1970s as he infiltrates the local KKK chapter. With the help of one of his fellow officers they gear up to attack a group of civil rights activists in the area. Directed by Spike Lee, this film is full of ironic comedy while also tackling the issues of racism in the U.S. and within the police force as well as the danger that organizations like the KKK posed to the African-American community in the 1970s.

Rye Lane

This 2023 romantic comedy is a fun new addition to the genre that is guaranteed to make you laugh and leave you in a good mood. The film takes you through an eventful day with two young adults, Yas and Dom, in London who are both coping with their last breakups. They aid each other in getting revenge on their exes who had wronged them while beginning to fall for each other in the process. The colorful and unique way that this film is shot will immerse you in the story and keep you coming back for another watch.

The Last Black Man in San Francisco

This movie explores the testaments of friendships, dysfunctional family dynamics, and grief for both people and for a place or time that has passed. It follows two men, Jimmie and Montgomery, who have lived in San Francisco all their lives. After being fed up with the gentrification of the city he loves, Jimmie decides to take back his childhood home after it is left vacant by its previous owners. With both its ironic comedy and emotional tragedy, this film is sure to put you in your feels.

Jessica Wikander is a new member of the Her Campus chapter at St. Bonaventure University this year, and is excited to write on topics such as movies, books, music, and so much more. She is also looking to get more involved in the world of writing and journalism as well as marketing while at school. Jessica is a freshman at St. Bonaventure University and is an undeclared communications major. Along with Her Campus, she has joined other on campus media outlets such as The Buzz, the campus radio station, and SBU-TV, the campus TV station. She also hopes to be a part of the Campus Conservationists Club, and the Jandoli School Women in Communications group. Back home, Jessica worked at her local public library for two and half years where she grew to love being surrounded by people who shared the same love of books and writing as her. On her own time, Jessica enjoys reading. She is a lover of classic literature, fantasy, and literary fiction. She also loves to crochet and is trying to learn how to knit. A comfort show of hers is New Girl, and is an avid period drama watcher and enthusiast. She is open to any discussions on her favorite pieces of media and is always looking for new recommendations of things to watch or read.