5 of the Most Underappreciated Classic Broadway Show Tunes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Broadway has come a long way over the years. There have been so many musicals that have been on and off Broadway. Often the good old classics get thrown to the side, especially with phenomenon’s like “Dear Evan Hansen,” “Hamilton,” and “Wicked” hitting the spotlight. I think it’s very important to appreciate some of the most well-written classic Broadway show tunes that will always be relatable.

1. “Do You Love Me?” – “Fiddler on the Roof”

One of the most ingenious show tunes ever written is “Do You Love Me?” from “Fiddler on the Roof.” It takes place in Anatevka, Russia during the early 1900s. During this time, arranged marriages were still practiced by Russian-Jews. “Do You Love Me?” highlights the question of love between protagonist Tevye and his wife Golde. Their daughters are getting married to men they really love, breaking the tradition of arranged marriages. This makes Tevye question if Golde loves him because they had an arranged marriage. It’s a beautiful depiction of how love builds over time. The song supports that it doesn’t take super extravagant gestures to fall in love with someone. Walking through life together is

more than enough.

2. “Wouldn’t It Be Loverly?” – “My Fair Lady”

As if Julie Andrews’ original portrayal of Eliza Doolittle wasn’t enough. The meaning behind “Wouldn’t It Be Loverly?” speaks for itself. “My Fair Lady” follows Eliza Doolittle, an English flower girl with a strong cockney accent. She meets Henry Higgins, a man who tells Eliza her speech is improper, and that’s also why she’s lower class. “Wouldn’t It Be Loverly?” is about Eliza and her friends imagining what life would be like if they were more elegant. They dream of extravagant things they could never afford. It’s very valid with society today. Everyone seems to want to strive to have more and be better than they are. I think it’s important to note that the tone while wishful is realistic.

3. “Pick-A-Little, Talk-A-Little” – “The Music Man”

By far one of the fastest sung show tunes of all time is “Pick-A-Little, Talk-A-Little” from “The Music Man.” This song is centered around all the women in the town making fun of Marian, a woman who was different from them because she enjoyed things that required more intellectual thinking. The song gets faster as it progresses. “Pick-A-Little, Talk-A-Little” is meant to mimic women gossiping. It has a very annoying tone to stress that gossiping isn’t a good way to express your feelings. I think it gives a very powerful message. While the song itself is very irritating, the impact makes it so valuable.

4. “What I Did for Love” – “A Chorus Line”

Forever a favorite of mine “What I Did for Love” from “A Chorus Line.” The title is a misconception to what the song was written about. It follows the story of dancers auditioning to be in the chorus for a musical. Due to an unfortunate incident, one dancer injures his previously hurt knee. It’s about the dancers and all the hardships they have gone through. That’s where “What I Did for Love” comes from. The dancers sing about their passion and how at the end of the day all of their difficulties were worth it. I think it’s important to realize love doesn’t always involve relationships. You can love a hobby and that can drive you.

5. “Oh What a Beautiful Mornin’” – Oklahoma

It’s often forgotten that Rodgers and Hammerstein’s first ever musical was, “Oklahoma.” It focused on the love story of a cowboy named Curly McClain and a farm girl named Laurey Williams in the early 1900s. “Oh What a Beautiful Mornin’” opens the show with Curly singing about what a great day it’s going to be. The positivity in the lyrics alone give a vibe that will forever be relatable. You have to look at each day like it will be the best yet. Especially in today’s society, we need to make every day brighter with joyous thoughts.

Pittsburgh native, coffee lover, reading enthusiust