Travel Adventure Sunset Jeep Road Trip
Travel Adventure Sunset Jeep Road Trip
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness

20 Things to Boost Your Mood When Things Aren’t Working Well

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SBU chapter.

Everyone needs a little something to uplift their emotions once in a while. It is nice to do something to make yourself feel better when you are feeling down or out of it. Here are some of my mood boosters that may be helpful to boost your mood too.

1. Get comfy. Throwing on sweats and fuzzy socks is always a good way to feel better after a long, tiring day.
  2. Jam out to your happy playlist. Put on some songs that make you happy and want to dance (personally mine is full of country music).
  3. Dance by yourself, or with non-judgmental friends who are happy to dance with you.
  4. Read a good book, one you like and enjoy (not a boring school assignment).
  5. Go for a walk, especially when the sun is out. It is great to get some movement in and spend time outside. I feel very at peace walking through the trails and reflecting on life.
  6. Do yoga or stretch. It’s another great way to move your body. It feels good to release tension in your joints or muscles.
  7. Watch your favorite movie, one you have seen a million times, and love so much that it will never get old. You already know what to expect and love the characters in the movie. Don’t forget the popcorn.
  8. Call your friends or family. Taking the time out of your day to speak with loved ones always makes me feel better.
  9. Relax with a warm blanket. I really hate being cold. Having a nice, soft blanket instantly increases my mood.
  10. Clean up. Reorganizing your desk or space to make everything less disordered helps to make you feel better and organized to get yourself back on track.
  11. Check tasks off your to do list. I feel relieved when I get things done. Even if it’s something as simple as doing my laundry. Organization and visualizing everything I have done makes me feel accomplished.
  12. Eat a snack that you have been craving. Whether it is a dill pickle, chips and guac or a cookie, go get your snack. You deserve it.
  13. Go for a drive. Driving around sunset and singing along to good music makes me very happy. I love to watch the sky change color.
  14. Draw, paint or color. Art always calms me down. It is very relaxing and fun to use your creativity.
  15. Dress up for no reason. You do not even have to make plans to leave the house. Dressing up makes me feel put together.
  16. Eat some chocolate. I specifically prefer dark chocolate but a Kit Kat or Reese are great too. If you are not a chocolate lover, any type of candy works.
  17. Change up your jewelry. Wearing different earrings or new bracelet or necklace can spruce up your look and mood.
  18. Get your nails done. Choosing a happy color or a cute design will make you feel cute.
  19. Listen to a podcast. It can be while you are folding laundry or putting dishes away. Choose a podcast with a good message or tone to help you feel inspired for the rest of the day.
  20. Write a list of what you are grateful for. When I am having a bad day, I like to take time to appreciate what I am happy for. This makes my day better because I am reminded of the good things in my life and some things are still going well.

These are some of my mood boosters. Feel free to try a few if you are ever feeling down. Hopefully, they work for you as well.

Hi!! I'm Kelsey and I'm a senior strategic communication major at St. Bonaventure University. I love reading, writing, listening to podcasts and walking!