This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

When you look in the mirror what do you see? Is it long, straight, black hair or a short blonde afro? Maybe it is two long french braids or maybe it’s locs. Whatever it may be, it’s beautiful to me. When you look at your skin is it a nice golden tan or a rich cocoa bean brown? Even if it is a fair light complex, there is beauty in your reflection. Love your roots as they breathe air into your soul. Beauty on the outside may look like gold but it is what is within that has the beauty of a rose. 

It took me many years to learn to love myself for who I am. I was not made to fit into society’s standards, nor will I ever want to. There is power within your complexion and love within your eyes. You are the only person capable of knowing all it takes to be you so learn to love that individual. A young soul I admire once said, “Some say the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice. I say the darker the flesh, then the deeper the roots”, and those words remain in my mind forever. You were made one of a kind, there is nobody out there that possesses your face, hair, body, smile and grace so cherish those gifts. I wish I could have gotten this message through to my younger self, but if I never went through years of uncertainty, I would not be who I am today. Once you learn self love you gain self acceptance, which is the greatest gift.  

Sierra Norwood

Savannah '24

Welcome to my personal diary! Follow @theartist.si on Instagram for more creative content ;)