AHC101b 0087r?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
AHC101b 0087r?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The CW

Why Black Youth Need to Watch The CW’s All American: Homecoming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

On Monday, February 21 “All American: Homecoming” premiered on The CW, which follows Simone on her new journey at Bringston University, a HBCU in Atlanta, Georgia. Simone is from Beverly Hills, so this is a major transition across the country for her. 

Many females at HBCUs are coming as out of state students. They can relate to Simone’s character by seeing how Simone handles being so far away from home. Simone’s focus is becoming an athlete and finding her place in the college world. While at Bringston University their message to students is “champions are made here,” so why would Simone not want to join something so elite. Simone has shown an interest in the tennis team at Bringston University as she played tennis back in high school. 

AHC101fg 0005r?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
The CW

Athletes have always been a major part of the All American series, so it is authentic to see it being displayed in “All American: Homecoming” as well. Like many HBCU first-year students, Simone is looking to find her place at her new home.  

All American: Homecoming” shows a brief look in Simone’s relationship from home with Jordan and how they had to say goodbyes as she left for college. She is devastated, as we can sometimes be after breakups, so I personally felt Simone on any tears shed as she left. 

In the first episode, we also see an inside on what it is like in the athletic world with the Bringston University’s baseball team. There is sometimes drama between students and coaches, which only makes matters more difficult. What I love is that “All American: Homecoming” is real. It does not sugarcoat things, which is important for college life because it is real life. 

AHC101a 0258r?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
The CW

One baseball player has an interest in Simone, and she may have an interest back! While that is just a prediction, another one may be that Simone and Jordan, who is her boyfriend back home, will begin to have problems because of this new guy. Many high school to college relationships face this reality, and it would be interesting to see how this plays out of that is the case!  

all american homecoming
Original photo by Morgan Croff

While The CW has a great show on their hands with “All American: Homecoming” this show is really going to mean a lot of many different people. For the first time in a long time, we get to see a HBCU being broadcast as the main school on a major network. Not only will this show be entertaining but it will also be influential, which is so memorable about a good TV program! If you missed the first episode of “All American: Homecoming”, catch up now on the CW App and tune-in to tonight’s episode at 9/8c or stream free tomorrow on the CW App!

Sierra Norwood

Savannah '24

Welcome to my personal diary! Follow @theartist.si on Instagram for more creative content ;)