jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Happened When My World Was Shaken

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Everyone has felt like their entire world was crumbling and everything is set up against them. It’s easy to stay in a routine when everything seems perfect, but can you survive and overcome when all you can do is survive on prayer.

2014-2015 was a hard time for my family. In these two years, it seemed as if everything started off wrong as soon as January 1st hit. My mother has always taken care of me and my brother by herself, but these were the hardest times that I will never forget.

I was always the child that was mature and independent. I remember always doing school work by myself and never needing my mother’s help. Actually, I was the kid that wanted to help my mom. At the beginning of February 2014, things around the house became a little hard. This was our first time living alone without my grandparents and aunts being around, so my mom was still trying to find her way when it came to budgeting and living alone. One night a tow truck came into our apartments and took our car away from us. This was the first incident that let me know that something wasn’t quite right. My mother has always been strong for us and kept many things hidden so that we won’t worry because “that’s not our job”. During this time I began to form my own relationship with God, so I knew the only thing that I could do was pray. We were on the verge of losing everything that we had. Everything that was going on in my household was hard to fully comprehend with me being so young, especially knowing I can’t do anything about it. Throughout the process, my mom began getting everything on track by allowing me to be more involved, received a promotion, and we participated in family counseling so we could remain a family, but then fast forward a couple of months and we found out there’s a possibility she could have cancer. During, this time she was going through endless tests and my faith was wavering. I felt I had a burden on me once again. Weeks went by, and she received the call that she is cancer free. I knew it was no one but God.   During this time, NO ONE knew what I was going through. Every day my life was a merry go round. I went to school, dance, and went home. I isolated myself from everyone because I thought that no one would understand anything that I was going through as a kid. Somehow I got back up and became the person I once was. Yes, it was hard to go on with life, because it seemed like so many around me had changed, but I was determined to get out of my depressed state and no longer just go through life, but experience happiness again.

I know there is someone out there who has gone through the same trials. A test of your faith being questioned and not having nowhere to turn. I learned that no matter what you go through in ANY stage of life you can get through it. We all have different ways of getting through the pain, and mine just so happened to be through God and my church family. So, I advise you to talk to someone that has your best interest at heart. Do not isolate yourself in darkness but seek that light. Whether it be through close friends, family, prayer, and especially the man above. Also, you never know what people are going through or what people have been through in life. Do not ever be quick to judge someone off of a brief encounter you have had with them. That person may end up being a great friend that God has sent in your life for a purpose.

Hello! My name is Amenitra Turner. I am 18 years old and I attend the illustrious Savannah State University. I am a pre-med biology major; with the intentions of being a pediatric cardiologist. I am so happy to be to express myself on the best platform for female journalists.