Culture > News

The “Constitutional Carry Act” and why we are Concerned

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Something serious is happening in Georgia the state I live in. This past Tuesday, April 12 Governor Kemp signed a new bill into law allowing people to carry concealed weapons without a permit.

While he is arguing and standing on protection, this is not doing anything than endangering more people than
it is protecting. History has shown repeatedly how mass shooting are real and they will happen if smart precautions are not taken. With the summer and many social events in Georgia coming soon this can cause some concern. There are so many things going on in the world that the passing of this bill was not necessary.

Who would need a weapon who cannot get a permit to carry it?

Only someone who does not need to have a weapon. Often politicians make decisions based off power moves instead of thinking what is best for the safety of people. Even though we would hate to admit it there are individuals out there who want to harm others and the country, therefore why put a law in place that would make it easier for them to do this? There are other ways citizens can protect themselves without having a weapon as powerful as a gun and I wish we were able to be protected again from that.

Sierra Norwood

Savannah '24

Welcome to my personal diary! Follow @theartist.si on Instagram for more creative content ;)