Rakim Johnson: The Man Beneath the Crown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

We at HerCampus love to shine a light on our students who are making an impact at Savannah State. This profile is about the 2nd Mr. Savannah State University, Rakim Johnson. He is a Mass Communications major and also studying Theatre as a minor. He is 22 years old and from Stone Mountain, Ga. One of our journalists had the chance to ask Rakim a few interesting questions pertaining to himself as well as his new title as Mr. Savannah State.

Q: Besides becoming Mr. SSU what would you say is your biggest accomplishment?

A: My biggest accomplishment has been beating the odds against me. Being able to work two jobs, stay in school and being able to join and be active in different orgs at Savannah State.

Q: What made you want to attend Savannah State?

A: I did my research and decided to do a tour to Savannah State. I liked the two days I spent in Savannah so I decided to attend.

Q: How do you feel you have changed from your freshman year to now?

A: Today I’m more spiritually and mentally in tune with myself. I have grown to be more open-minded and thoughtful about different situations in life. I have a better sense of self.

Q: Describe how you felt the moment you found out you were elected as Mr. Savannah State.

A: I felt that I could accomplish anything I put my mind to do and that I had students at my campus support.

Q: What led you to run for the position?

A: My freshman year the position wasn’t available. When the position came about I knew that our males needed somebody who they could relate too and help walk the journey through the school year with them and I felt that I could be a prospective candidate for it.

Q: What can the student body expect from SGA this upcoming school year?

A: Hard work. The current Exec board is collaborating with ideas that we feel the students can benefit from on a professional, collegiate & personal level. We’re really committed to making sure the students are fully equipped for success when they leave SSU.

Q: Who is your biggest inspiration?

A: My biggest inspiration is my mother, auntie and grandmothers. Against all odds they continue to be preserve and do selfless things for others. I also get inspiration from different videos on the internet that speak on how people have overcome their battles.

Q: What advice would you give incoming freshmen?

A: To make the most of your opportunities that have been given to you in college. Network amongst your classmates because you never know who can benefit you in the long run. Try to take the time out to handle the business at hand which is your school work. Have fun but most importantly secure the grades first.

Q: What is one thing that people don’t know about you?

A: A lot of people don’t know that I actually never met my dad but I use that as motivation to be the best version of myself and ultimately the best man I can be.

The Ladies of HerCampus Savannah State are thrilled to see the great work Rakim as well as the rest of his counterparts will do throughout the school year.