This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

In lieu of the beginning of a new semester just right around the corner, I thought I’d begin one of my first entries on “Purging”, as this is such a prevalent topic for so many of us as we attempt to bring harbored feelings into new beginnings. I know, for me at least, and maybe to you, whoever you are, this summer break has brought about a lot of purging of the soul, and a lot of which was involuntary. And of course, with having to purge, with any purge I’ll add, it can be extremely chaotic! I mean feelings, habits, and tendencies are being brought to the forefront of your existence. Things that you may have been completely unaware of are now causing you to face unfamiliar, & even sometimes uncomfortable parts of yourself. 

In addition, through being a black woman in this society, times are tough and the pressure is on. Through finding balance in a society that focuses on the imbalances within our community, within ourselves, the pressures of feeling stable feels like you’re up against a lot. Almost like a million to one. Not to mention that being a young black woman at an HBCU, while feeling the sense of connectedness within our school, the pressures of success and overcoming your circumstances may cause you to feel overwhelmed, under-appreciated, and sometimes questioning your journey. Wondering why the burdens of being simply you are so heavy. 

So, you begin to go through the run-down thinking of “when did this happen”, or, “why is this happening to me”, or, “what did i do to inflict this”, or even better, “what didn’t I do to help myself”, and moreover, “where did all of these things come from”. Or, sometimes, you’re just speechless, and left to face the agony of dealing with all of your dirty laundry. And who ever knew facing yourself could be this… tough.  

I’m sure many of you are familiar with the saying “all that resides in darkness, must see the light eventually”. And while so much easier said than felt, it’s true. Things that you have harbored, or have neglected to face, will in fact have to experience the essence of light. It will have to be discovered. So, in this case, you aren’t experiencing anything abnormal or outside of yourself. You’re experiencing an internal detox, if you will. A cleanse. A renewal. 

That is your reassurance. To know that all that is coming out is from within you. Trusting yourself through this process is essential, as it will assure you that you are going through one of the most natural parts of your human experience & that you will in fact make it through. Trusting your ability to persevere through difficult times is also essential, as it will motivate you to continue on, building more trust in yourself. 

A few natural remedies to reduce feeling anxious, depressive, or unclear during these times:

Affirmations. Reminding yourself that releasing what no longer serves or is “a part of you” is nothing short of Divine.  

By speaking words that will begin to manifest into existence by BELIEVING in the possibility of them happening and by believing that you are deserving of these things, will essentially provide you with the confidence to stand firmly in the midst of chaos. 

Self-Care. While self care is often painted in the image of taking long, hot, bubble baths with candles lit and self help books lounging around your space (although this may be what it looks like for others), self-care, in it’s truest form, is the acting of taking measures to ensure that you are taking time to spend time with yourself, caring after yourself. Remember to take time out to take care. Whether that be temporarily escaping the presence of others requiring you to perform or escaping the low vibrational energy you’ve nestled yourself into. Taking initiative to take care of yourself is helpful during this time. 

Remembering that this is YOUR journey. 

Your journey is yours. Regardless of who you meet and what impact they’ve had on you, this will always be your journey. You are responsible for yourself. Every inch and corner of your being (internally & externally) is yours to take care of. Don’t deter yourself away from doing what is best for you by comparing your journey to those of others. Everyone’s process is meant for them. Allow yourself to embrace your own. Through the good & the bad. 

Most importantly, be easy on yourself, but be honest, Treat yourself carefully and kind, but don’t chalk those uncomfortable feelings into negativity. Acknowledge your shortcomings, we’ve all had them, and remember that it’s never too late to change. 

In closing, for my sisters, continue to be patient, do not allow your heart to harden in the midst of confusion. Again, take time to spend time with you. Encourage yourself, and remember to encourage each other. We don’t have to fight alone. We aren’t alone. 

Unity is beneficial.

You got this. 

We got this.

Cheers to The Purge. 

Sincerely, 

Lex

An English Major with a nitch for writing!