Wellness > Health

New York Hospitals fire workers who refuse the COVID-19 vaccine: Many question the importance of Vaccinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

August 23rd 2021 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the first COVID-19 vaccine. The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine has been used for the prevention of coronavirus disease in anyone 16 years of age and older. Highlighting the news, hospitals in the state of New York face possible mass firings as workers refuse the coronavirus vaccine. According to the NYTimes, 84 percent of New York’s 450,000 hospital workers and 83 percent of its 145,400 nursing home employees had been fully vaccinated. While these numbers still appear to be high, the goal is to have all healthcare workers at all hospitals fully vaccinated. Kathy Hocul, the governor of New York defends her mandatory mandate for healthcare workers. Hocul may be receiving ridicule from anti-vaxers, but the question still arises from many who still may be uneducated about the importance of the vaccine. Acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock, M.D, stated “The FDA’s approval of this vaccine is a milestone as we continue to battle the COVID-19 pandemic. While this and other vaccines have met the FDA’s rigorous, scientific standards for emergency use authorization, as the first FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine, the public can be very confident that this vaccine meets the high standards for safety, effectiveness, and manufacturing quality the FDA requires of an approved product,” (Woodcock 2021).

In a time where many milestones were missed due to the dangers and restrictions imposed upon our nation by COVID-19, it is pertinent that Americans take the precautionary measures to make sure that they are safe as well as others. From the time we were elementary school kids we were required to take vaccinations (many of which I was unknowledgeable about) to keep ourselves and others safe. So, in a time like this, help others and protect yourself as well by getting vaccinated.

Do your research as there are many credible sources in which you will find the FDA conducted clinical trials and rigorous evaluations before approving this vaccine.

Stay safe, get informed and Mask Up!

Liv Carter

Savannah '24

I am Olivia Carter and I attend Thee Illustrious Savannah State University. 🦋 21'-22' HerCampus Writing Coordinator!