Kendra Murray: An Epic Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Kendra Murray is a 22 year old senior Mass Communications major with an emphasis in Audio and Video Production at Savannah State University.  During her time at the university Kendra has been a part of various organizations such as Nubian Elite Modeling troupe and The Juice Live. Kendra’s drive for success landed her a summer internship at Epic Records in New York City. Kendra Murray is one of many examples proving that you truly can get anywhere from Savannah State. 

Jakia: Why did you choose to attend Savannah State?

Kendra: My plan was never college. I wanted to go into the Navy, I did 4 years in ROTC in hopes to continue after high school to pursue a career in the military. Due to health issues, God chose a different road for me. I have never been to the south before, never been to Georgia before, Savannah State was my first visit and I just went with it.

Jakia: Did you always know you wanted a job in the media? Or did the Journalism and Mass Communications department at SSU just kind of pull you in?

Kendra: I used to watch The Breakfast Club interviews every day. Charlamagne was somebody I looked up to, he was so outspoken and passionate. I loved staying up to date on music and entertainment, I spend 90% of my time doing exactly that. I would also say that it’s in my blood, my Dad is a producer and my Grandfather is a musician as well, my older sister could sing lol. So yeah, music was always instilled in me.

Jakia: How does attending SSU prepare you for an opportunity as big as interning at Epic Records?

Kendra: Being at SSU prepared me more so by meeting other students and the people I surrounded myself around prepared me. One of my close friends Jarrod instilled the drive I have in me today. I joined Nubian Elite my sophomore year and he will push anyone he see’s potential in. He’s so talented and driven, as well as an amazing teacher. I have learned almost everything from him.  A lesson isn’t always learned in the classroom, you can learn them from family and friends.

Jakia: Did being in The Juice Live have a big role in helping you land the internship?

Kendra: The Juice Live is how I got my internship lol. We took a road trip to Howard University’s homecoming and a recent graduate stopped me on the road and we had a small conversation. Long story short, he told me he works at Epic and to take his number down had I needed anything.

Jakia: So how has the internship been so far?

Kendra: Amazing. A blessing. Lit. Yerrrr all that. I have met some amazing and humble ass people during this journey. I’m not sure if I can say ass or not, but yeah. It has also taught me to broaden my focus and goal, I wouldn’t limit myself to Epic Records. Many people here are grinding still when they leave this door.

Jakia: At what moment did it really hit you that, “Wow, I’m really here interning for Epic Records?”

Kendra: The moment I saw the mural on the walls of the floor we are on. It has ALL of the music legends, at that moment I was like wow. Epic Records.

Jakia:  I know everyone has challenging moments in life and nothing  ever comes easy, so how did you push through those type of moments as a college student balancing classes, organizations, and a personal life? Were there any professors or mentors that really pushed and helped you make it to this point?

Kendra: It was hard, very hard. I went through a lot of emotional trauma during the past few years. I lost my grandmother not too long ago. I lost friends. I was broke. Crazy ass ex, all of the normal stuff we go through. I always have stayed close to God, even when I let go of him he kept me. God is a faithful God and through any situation I remember not to stray but to grow closer to him. I have never really been that close to professors, but shout out to Ms. Johnson, she is the only reason I got accepted to SSU. Prof. Sparks, Ms. Brown. Prof. Walker, Prof. Touré, and most def my boy Mr. C! Mr. Corinthian.

Jakia: I know you have one more semester left at Savannah State so what’s next after graduation?  How do you plan to top an internship at Epic Records?

Kendra: I have a few plans in store, I can’t tell my next move but it’ll be my best move. Just know NYC is my home now.

Jakia: Lastly, you are a prime example of Black girl magic so what advice can you offer to girls that hope to one day be where you’re at?

Kendra: Never give up. Be comfortable in your own skin. Be yourself. Stay humble. Never settle and walk by faith! K Raw out YERRR

My name is Jakia Randolph, a 22 year old woman from Atlanta, Ga. I currently attend the illustrious university by the sea, Savannah State University. I am a first generation college student and will be among the first in my family to receive a Bachelor's degree. I have always had a love for writing since my adolescent years. I am naturally introverted and writing allows me to fully express myself to those around me. Therefore, I pursued a degree in Journalism because it allows me to utilize my passion for writing in a way that allows me to reach mass audiences.  Aside from writng, in my spare time I enjoy working and doing volunteer work with children. I am currently a lead teaching assistant at the Islands YMCA and have completed over 200 hours of volunteer work at the local Boys and Girls Club in Savannah. I am passinate about the next generation and ensuring that they grow into strong self-sufficient individuals. In order for that to happen, I try to maintain role model status in my community by taking on leadership roles. For example, I was a member of the Student Government Association at SSU for 2 years. By May of 2018, I will have a Bachelors in Mass Communication with an emphasis in Online Journalism and a minor in English. I have a love for knowledge so following graduation I will be attending Clark Atlanta University to receive a degree in secondary education. My dream is to utilize both my passions by first becoming a successful multimedia journalist and later passing that knowledge on to the next generation as a college professor.