Is the Hollywood definition of scary accurate now or just overboard?

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

​Since we are coming up on Halloween, a great topic to dive into is fear. Recently at the beginning of October, new horror movies are coming out and I am a horror movie fanatic. I’ve been trying to decipher the level of scary or fear we put into movies media now. As critics, viewers, producers, and even actors, I feel like scary is defined into two main topics, psychological fear, and gore. Movies like Saw, Final Destination, Hereditary, and Human Centipede are all movies that base their strength on gore. It is so nauseating that one could feel fear from that type of pain being inflicted upon them. The other side has movies like Us, Candyman, It, Silence Of the lambs, Anabelle and Insidious are all horror movies that project jump scare tactics but have the audience in a psychological chokehold. The fear stems from the mind manipulation being done to viewers. These categories of horror movies have taken over the horror movie industry but it might not be for the best. Past generations of Baby Boomers, and Millennials find the new spin on horror movies to be either too graphic or too scary. Soon future generations won’t have a big enough pool to pull from. The fear is becoming more and more realistic every day. I feel like it’s up for personal interpretation whether the current level of horror is too much but don’t be fooled into thinking that through the power of FX makeup, special effects, and real-life problems the genre of horror won’t get progressively worse

Akiele Nelson

Savannah '24

Currently An undergraduate junior at the University by the Sea, Savannah state studying Middle Grade education & a minor in Behavioral Analysis. I, Akiele Nelson am a poet, writer & romantic. Hopefully you enjoy my content, feel something and maybe relate to my words. They say a poet is first firstly, a person passionately in love with language.