This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Interviewer Keitanya: Hello HerCampus readers, My name is Keitanya Klien, a writing coordinator for Savannah State University and  today I have the pleasure of sitting down with the beautiful Mesi Moore, a junior at SSU, Hi Mesi! 

Mesi: Hi Keitanya! Oh my gosh I’m so excited for this! 

Interviewer: Me too! Let’s get started! What is your name and where are you from? 

Mesi: My name is Tho’Mesia Moore, I am from a small town known as Claxton GA, it’s so small a lot of people probably never heard of it. We’re known for our chicken, we’re famous baby! 

Interviewer: I love that! Rep your city yes girl! I’ve seen it is passing. Can you tell me your favorite thing about where you’re from? 

Mesi: I’d have to say…the thing I like most about where I’m from is how the kids there dream big. You know?  I say this because it’s such a small town. There’s not a lot of things they’re exposed to or a lot of people from there that they can look up to but that doesn’t stop them. They continue to dream big and dream of great things and I love that. It’s motivational. 

Interviewer: That’s so beautiful to know that even in certain circumstances that doesn’t stop them from dreaming big so I’m glad you shared that with me. So you’re from Claxton, why Savannah State? 

Mesi: Well Savannah State actually chose me and I have to say that it is one of the best decisions I’ve made. My first choice was Clark Atlanta because I loved the city and I wanted to be in Atlanta. I ended up applying to other schools and Savannah State was the closest to home. The pricing and how far it was from my family also had an impact but I love SSU and my experiences thus far while being here have been amazing. 

Interviewer: Can you tell me a little about why an HBCU in general and some of those SSU experiences you’ve had? 

Mesi: What I love about HBCUs is the prestigiousness they all have. The culture that HBCUs and especially SSU have is what I love the most. You see how the  women and men on campus dress for Dress For Success Wednesday’s and how they carry themselves. It’s overall a powerful feeling and it makes me see myself, my school, and my people as a high standard. I feel like seeing them let me know that you really can get anywhere from here. 

Interviewer: I’m so glad you said this! There is nothing like SSU students in the cafe on fried chicken Wednesday! That energy is just amazing! 

Mesi: Okay! You already know! It motivated me to get some heels and I didn’t even like heels! 

Interviewer: Girl same! I had to get some drip myself: And so you are a writer for HerCampus, when did your writing begin?

Mesi: So I started writing when I was just a child, I would write in diaries as then content as I got to middle school but that was for class. My writing really started to develop during my freshman year of college. I had joined HerCampus in order to expand my writing and more importantly, to be able to have an outlet to be myself. I wanted to talk about self care, I wanted to be able to express myself through my writing. I am glad that I started writing as a child. It has helped me clear my mind in so many situations. Writing means so much to me and it has had a significant impact on my life. 

Interviewer: I definitely get that especially with writing in school, you’re being told what to write and how to write whereas on your own is completely different.

Mesi: Yes, I strongly believe that writing should come naturally. It is easier when it’s not so forced

Interviewer: How did you find out about HerCampus?

Mesi: I found out about HerCampus through twitter. 

Interviewer: Thats cool, I feel like a lot of girls find out through social media.

Interviewer: How do you want people to feel after reading your work on the site?

Mesi: I want readers to feel inspired. I want them to read what I wrote and feel motivated. Reading and writing helps me get through a lot so I want it to help others get through a tough time as well. I want others to feel connected to my words and my story.

Interviewer: My next question is: What is your major?

Mesi: My major is Political Science. This was not always my major as I used to be a social work major. I chose political science because I want to be a voice for our people… black people. I am so passionate about issues that are affecting us and I want to raise awareness. I feel there should be more active black women in politics. I want to advocate for issues that affect us. Political Science inspires me to become aware of what is going on in the world.. It allows me to help my community and other communities. 

Interviewer: I agree, we definitely need more black women in politics. What career do you want to pursue with this political science degree?

Mesi: I plan to go into law. After that I want to become the President of the United States.

Interviewer: Wow, that is amazing. I hope that you do become the President. Women in politics is so important especially black women. I already can tell that you have a bright future ahead. 

Mesi: Thank you. I want to inspire others and be a voice for the voiceless. Black women deserve to be seen, heard and respected and I want to advocate for them. 

Interviewer: My next question might be a little deep so take your time to answer.

Interviewer: What is a quote that you live by?

Mesi: I have a few quotes that I love and live by (laughs) but let me think..(takes long pause). “Don’t be afraid of change” Change is inevitable. Nothing will remain the same. You cannot be fearful of it because change can be good/. Another quote that I live by  is “Visualize yourself at the highest and walk in that”. Manifest the life that you want and you will get it. I constantly visualize my aspirations and it motivates me to keep going.

Interviewer: I love that! These are great quotes.

My final question is, Where do you see yourself  in the next ten years? 

Mesi: I will be 30 years old. I want to be successful in my career as a lawyer. I want to be a true voice for the people. I want to travel more and see the world. Traveling is so important to me, I want to experience  life and different things… and lastly like I said earlier I will be the president of the United States. 

The Future President and the beautiful Mesi Moore. This is HerStory!

Hello everyone! My name is Tho'Mesia Moore but everyone knows me as Mesi. I am a Junior, Political Science major, and I am from a small town name Claxton, GA. Welcome to my blog as I allow you into my mind and world shedding light on the different topics I am passionate about. Happy reading! Follow me on IG: @mooreofmesi Twitter:@mooreofmesi