This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

In light of the 2020 Presidential Election being over, well technically, I feel the need to vent and just start the conversation about what exactly we’ve seen over the last few months. I want to address the “Trump supporters” or  “Trump train”. I can’t understand why the Trump supporters are so extreme. I’ve never seen so many people be this extreme for a candidate or for a political party since I learned of the Nazi Party. It’s one thing to put the signs out in the front yard and put the bumper stickers on your car. However, the huge flags were excessive, and the following and harassing people was unacceptable. Believe me, if you felt he was a better candidate for the job than Joe Biden, you have no hate from me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and can vote for whoever they want. Nevertheless, I believe Trump condoned hate for his own benefit of knowing his supporters would stand by him and condone hating as well. He was elected off of phrases like “Make America Great Again” and “Build the Wall” which both have a hateful connotation when you hear it.  Many of his supporters followed him for the wrong reasons; this stopped being about politics a long time ago. The evidence was when he refused to tell white supremacists on national tv to stand down but instead told the “Proud Boys”  to stand by. Even now,  he has lost his re-election yet,  he continues to call on his supporters to “fight back”. Now because of that,  violence erupted at the “Million Man MAGA March” to protest Trump’s baseless allegations of voter fraud. Many of you may have heard newscasters and politicians using the term “Trumpism” to describe his “movement” or agenda and the ideology of the supporters. Keep in mind this is just a presidential candidacy. That’s the scariest part. It’s giving me very much “dictatorship, cult, and Neo- Nazi” vibes. Going home this weekend and seeing so many Trump flags still flying as if the election is not over, has confirmed all of this for me. I live in South Georgia and I don’t even see confederate flags everywhere anymore; let me know if the new and updated flag is the Trump flag.

Aleesa Brantley

Savannah '22

Biology Major Honors study at Savannah State University ??!! Class of ‘22