This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

Normally I don’t dress up for Halloween but this year will be different. I plan on going to a Trunk or Treat on Saturday and I know that people usually wear costumes to those. One of my friends that’s going is going to be a fairy and she suggested that I get a fairy costume so we could match. If I couldn’t find a fairy costume, I planned to be a witch, a cat, or wear an animal onesie. There was a costume store in the old Sears building called Spirit Halloween so I planned to start my search there. On Friday morning I made my way there with hopes of finding a fairy costume. As soon as I walked in, the first costumes I saw were witch dresses. There were long ones and short ones but there was still so much to see in the store. I made my way around the store slowly and saw Hippie costumes, Gladiator costumes, and regular character costumes. Seeing all the different costumes made it harder for me to decide what exactly it was that I wanted. A man that worked in the store saw how confused I was so he was nice enough to help me out. We made it to the bank of the store where the wings for a fairy costume was but they didn’t have actual fairy costumes which was unfortunate but there were still plenty of options to choose from. However, one thing I didn’t take into consideration was if the store carried plus-size costumes. The guy that was helping me out understood where I was coming from with the size part and looked for the biggest size that they had in each costume I wanted. We wound up back to the witch costumes where he showed me a burgundy witch dress. Red is one of my favorite colors so I fell in love with the costume instantly. It was a hooded dress that had a black waist tie and I pictured myself in it instantly. The only downside was the dress was long and I couldn’t try it on to ease my mind about the length. Needless to say, I chose not to get a costume from there at all. When I got back to my car, I was going to go across the street to Party City but one of my friends told me about some costumes at the Walmart on Abercorn so that was my next stop. 

I was more so focused on buying a witch costume than a fairy costume when I went to Walmart. When I got to the spot where the costumes were, there were a bunch of little kids ones and a handful of adult ones. None of the adult ones were in my size so my next destination was the Walmart on Montgomery Crossroads. It was about a 15 to 20 minute drive from where I was and I hadn’t realized that my gas was slowly falling to a half a tank. The Walmart on Montgomery still had a bunch of kids costumes but they had a separate spot for adult costumes. I remember seeing a purple unicorn onesie, a Batgirl costume, and witch dresses. I was over wanting a onesie at that point, the Batgirl costume didn’t appeal to me, and the witch dresses were cute but weren’t in my size. I managed to find a deer costume that looked pretty cute. The dress for it was dark brown with white spots and it came with antlers and a white choker. The costume was even in my size but I had no plans on being a deer. At that, I didn’t know what shoes I would find to match my dress. I left the Walmart empty-handed and headed over to Party City. Before I went inside there, I crossed my fingers and said a quick prayer that I’d find a cute costume. Luckily, I was ab;e  to find a black witch dress that was in size, a twisted hat, and some white and black striped socks. To say that I was happy and relieved would be an understatement. I couldn’t think of another store to go to in order to find a costume and I was starving after all that driving around town. The only other thing I plan to buy for is a choker that really pops out and makes a statement. 

All of the driving and searching was worth it as I now have the perfect costume. I’m considering dressing up as a Renaissance woman next year for Halloween. 

I think I might shop on Amazon for that one though.

Ta'Mia Jones

Savannah '20

Hello! I'm a resident of Savannah, Georgia. I'm 22 years old and I love reading, writing, listening to music, and shopping. I can't wait to start reading and sharing content here. :)