This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

“I wonder what I would look like with more highlight?” “Or maybe I should add more blush?” “I could stand to lose twenty, maybe twenty-five pounds.” “I would look so much better with long black hair, like the kind Kylie Jenner has, everyone thinks she’s really pretty” “I just want to be pretty, I just want everyone else to think I’m pretty and like me.”

“Ugh, why does she wear so much makeup?” “You know, she would be so much prettier if she would just wear her natural hair?” “She’s such a pretty girl, it’s a shame she’s plus size.” “Have you seen her outfit today?” and one of most hurtful “She looks like she needs a major makeover.”

Imagine this being your daily thoughts?? Imagine constantly feeling your naturally made body isn’t as good as the ones bought on Rodeo drive, O. Or that you aren’t as pretty because you prefer to wear your bare face, instead of makeup?? Imagine being judged for just being yourself, or because you comfortable in your own skin.

It seems like today, the obsession with beauty has overtaken main- stream America. The battle between natural or made beauty is becoming increasingly controversial. The debate of weather makeup hurts or helps a women’s self-esteem and if natural beauty is for everyone has become a major topic. Alicia Keys stated she is no longer wearing makeup because she feels it’s not realistic and makes her feel bad about her inner beauty. While, actresses such as Katy Perry are scoring major beauty contracts with contributors such as Cover- girl.

So many women battle with the concept of being perfect and looking a certain way. Society has made women feel as if anything natural isn’t good enough. Now wearing makeup, false eyelashes, or nails means you must suffer with insecurities and that’s just not true.Their natural hair, bare face, and tummies aren’t up to society’ssocieties picture perfect standard, while others are being bullied for wearing makeup and seeing it as an art form.

Women need to know they are perfect just the way they are. Their stretch marks, unevenun even breast and frizzy hair, or with faces beat to the Gods and highlights you can see a mile away. Women don’t have to change themselvestheir selves to fit society’ssocieties ridiculous standards of beauty and perfection. Society needs to learn how to appreciate every one especially in their natural state or if she decides she wants be a glammed-up Barbie whicheverwhich ever she chooses is the most beautiful of all.

Hi, My name is Otissia McKinnon. I was born and raised in South Georgia and now I currently attend Savannah State University as a Social Work Major. Helping those who are unable to help themselves is my passion and I intend on making it my life's work. I thoroughly enjoy writing, editing, building and branding social media content. My future plans are to build a women's organization that not only empowers the youngest of hearts but encourages girls as they grow older to be the most loving and successful versions of themselves they can be.