This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

From capturing our hearts on Disney Channel to claiming her inaugural Grammy, Coco Jones emerges as the dynamic face shaping the narrative of R&B. The young singer, with five Grammy nominations, triumphs with the “Best R&B Performance for ICU” on the first Sunday of Black History Month, defying those who claim R&B is dormant. Jones not only revives the genre but infuses it with newfound vibrancy through “ICU,” with its deep, emotion-stirring notes and harmonies reminiscent of authentic 90s R&B.

Derived from Jones’ 2022 EP, “What I Didn’t Tell You,” “ICU” continues to resonate, featured on the deluxe edition reissued in 2023. Beyond her musical prowess, Jones fearlessly brings an edgy twist to the iconic Hilary Banks, portrayed by Karyn Parsons Rockwell, in the reimagined “Bel-Air” series on Peacock, showcasing her versatile brilliance.

As a singer, actor, and advocate, Coco Jones proudly declares her allegiance to music, emphasizing its hold on her heart. She actively champions for girls who share her experiences, striving for increased opportunities and better prospects. Joining forces with Victoria Monet and SZA, Jones stands as a Grammy recipient, symbolizing the monumental achievements of African American women in the music industry. Acknowledging the Grammys’ progress while recognizing the journey ahead, congratulations extend not only to Coco Jones but to all African American women who triumphed at the Grammys, marking significant milestones in their powerful journey.

Tkhai Heyward

Savannah '24

Hey Guys, My name is Tkhai Heyward & I am a proud new memento of the Savannah State University Her Campus. Born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina. Just a Virgo who loves writing <3.