This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Savannah chapter.

With the world fitting so nicely at our fingertips these days, it would make sense that the accessibility of obtaining a degree would be easier.  With the cost of living rising, we must do it all- simultaneously! Be the full-time worker, the social butterfly, care giver for loved-one(s) and most importantly, self-care; modern day superwomen. With hectic schedules, a traditional classroom setting isn’t always the best route to go when pursing higher education. Luckily, virtual learning has become widely embraced (trust me, I’ve certainly taken advantage!).

In my online learning journey, I’ve picked up a few successful habits that has students, especially those unfamiliar with the process, emailing me CONSTANTLY.  You may ask: well, how exactly do I achieve and maintain that ‘A’ while not being face -to- face? Glad you asked!

Here are 7 effective tips for navigating the often confusing, frightening, fast paced world of hybrid/ Learning at a Distance/Online learning:

1. Stay ahead of the game.

First and foremost, online courses are SELF DIRECTED.  You must enter the virtual world with an independent mindset and absolute drive; there isn’t much hand holding. Try to complete assignments as early as possible. This will save you stress. There will be a set time and dates for submissions.  If you are entering a subject where you may need extra help, or have high expectations of being constantly observed and critiqued, you may want to consider spending time in a traditional classroom. Most professors will post the dates and it is totally up to you to remember such dates, and complete assignments (sometimes without reminders). YOU are your own reminder/ alarm clock.

2. Read, your syllabus.  Read it. Now, read it again.

Many professors include the declaimer: “schedule is subject to change”. This is for a reason! Because the classes are virtual, technology can seem more of an inconvenience at times.  Technical issues happen, on both ends. It’s not anyone’s fault but the work must go on! Thus, dates can constantly change. Keep up with dates by logging in MORE THAN TWICE a day, checking every class and constantly reviewing the syllabus. Read it before and after the assignments. Set reminders if needed.

3. Rubrics are your best friends! Read it. Save it. Let it be your guide. 

Let this be your guide, “young grasshopper.”  (Karate Kid movie reference. yeah? No? Ok. Wait, how old am I again?!) This is how you truly know what is expected of you and what exactly you need to include in your work.

4.  Be prepared for A LOT of reading.

I cannot stress this enough! The information you read is pertinent to your success in the course. Often, this means having multiple tabs open at once- your Syllabus/ Rubric for review, the assignment itself, related text/literature you must currently read, Purdue OWL to format a paper, etc. Reread and flip through tabs.

5. Post discussions early.

Professors love to see that you have taken the initiative to discuss the topic or answer their questions early. If you must respond to two classmates, try responding to three (and follow up!).  It makes you appear eager about the content and seem engaged. 

6. Class Participation matters… Yes, even online.

Speaking of engagement, you must show that you are interested and understand the information presented. This means responding to professors or classmates in a timely manner and referencing the topics you have been asked to review. Log into your account as much as possible because often, they can track who logs in, how often, AND exactly what time you logged in- this counts!  If you can, shoot the professor an email regarding any questions or comments related the content to truly show interest. This will definitely flatter them… thank me later.

7. Lastly, all professors are NOT created equal.

Every professor sets up their virtual classrooms differently. You will have professors who answer phone calls/ emails with quick responses, whom grade and provide feedback, have all the work already posted with due dates and in chronological order. You think all you must do is read, complete and post. I wish all professors were this tedious and organized! Just as you are taking the class for convenience, some professors are also teaching the class for scheduling convenience. They also have busy lives!  Some will post work 2 days in advance- not a week, some post all content at the same time and this can be intimidating. Some will post ONE assignment and not mention anything for weeks and you’ll be stuck wondering if they have disappeared. Keep an opened mind, check your emails/ news/ announcements constantly and consistently, for any changes. Don’t be afraid to make contact or request for extensions on a short notice deadline (don’t make it a habit).  You’ll be fine! Besides, you are a GIRL BOSS!

Shaniqua Brown (affectionally known as "Neka") is a mid twenty-something, senior at Savannah State University. She is in pursuit of a B.A in Interdisclinary Studies with concentrations in English Education and Political Science. Neka considers herself a "Jack of all trades" with a strong passion for writing, travel, laughter, and volunteerism. Her Spirit rests in the arms of wanderlust! When she isnt writing poetry in her spare time, you can catch her daydreaming about margaritas, books and saving the world in her future career home of Washington, DC and empowering those around her. Neka believes that no dream is too big; if you're not constantly shocking and challenging those around you, maybe it isnt BIG ENOUGH.