What I’ve Learned In My First Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

As the season of finals starts to approach, I can’t help but wonder where my freshman year went. I feel like it was August just seconds ago. Although I know I have a lot more to learn about college, working, friends, relationships, and just life in general, I like to think I learned quite a bit this past year. In honor of the school year wrapping up, I decided to make a list of things I learned during my first year of college.

1. I was so wrong about 8ams. 

I thought 8ams wouldn’t be terrible, since I was used to doing them all my life. Well.. I couldn’t be more wrong. When signing up for my 8ams I forgot to take into consideration that I would be going to bed a lot later than I did throughout my high school years. Needless to say, waking up when it was dark out in December was torture! With that being said…

2. Sleep is a glorious thing.

I love sleep. But lots of homework while trying to have a good social life, don’t always allow for quality sleep. The only time you get lots of deep sleep is when you go home for the weekend or you have no obligations. In both cases, sleep like your life depends on it.

3. Don’t procrastinate.

Okay I’ll admit it. I still suck at this one. I know I shouldn’t wait until the night before a big homework assignment is due, because then I get little sleep. When this girl gets little sleep, she gets cranky! Save yourself the stress, work ahead in little bits so you stay on top of things. Trust me, you’ll thank yourself later.

4. Fill your plate with only as much as you can chew.

College is great for trying new things! There are so many different clubs and activities to try and new people to meet. But the main purpose of college is to get an education. That doesn’t mean you can’t do both! Sign up for the new club, hang out with your new friends, get your homework done! Just know when to say no. It’s okay to not join every club. It’s okay not to hang out with your friends every night. It’s okay to not take 18 credits worth of classes. College is all about learning how to balance work with play.

4. Mother truly does know best.

Whether it’s laundry, food, or relationship help, your mom will always have the answer. Although it’s hard being away, it makes Facetimes and phone calls so much more special. Oh and don’t worry, she’ll make sure to let you know her opinion on how much sleep you’re getting and if you need to empty your plate a little bit.

5. Cafeteria food sucks.

It seems amazing the first week of school with all the different options. Pizza, fries, cookies, and ice cream. Did I mention it was buffet style? But you soon realize cafeteria food is the same old same old. The unhealthy food and buffet style loses its lust (especially after you see your weight on the scale) and you realize you would kill for a home cooked meal. Don’t worry, mom’s got your back and will make anything your heart desires as soon as you get home.

6. It’s okay to be homesick.

A lot of kids get homesick in the beginning of their freshman year. It’s hard to be away from home while learning to live with thousands of kids your age, all while trying to keep up with school work. It’s okay to admit you miss your parents, siblings, and pets. I got homesick after Christmas break. I got so used to being at home in my little bubble I was scared to come back. My first week back in January was torture. I watched Netflix alone in my room every chance I got because I was sad. It’s okay to be down in the dumps and homesick, but it’s not okay to pretend like it’s not happening. My friends and family noticed I wasn’t myself and they immediately got me out of my room and back into my groove. All it takes is asking for help.

7. It’s okay to outgrow friends.

The people you’re friends with the first day of school won’t always be the best fit for you. It’s perfectly okay to let go of a friendship if you feel like you don’t vibe well with the person. You can still say hi when you see them, but by no means do you have to feel obligated to be their best friend.

8. Sometimes the people you click with on the first day, will become your ride or die.

I made my first friend on campus by sitting next to her the first day at college. Since then, we have become best friends and will be roommates in the fall. Sometimes your “day ones” really are your day ones. They will stick with you through thick and thin.

9. It’s okay to have breakdowns now and then.

College is hard. Papers suck. Screaming in your pillow about it is sometimes all you need to get back in the groove. Don’t be afraid to let it all out every once in awhile. Just remember to always take a few deep breaths afterwards and get back to killin’ the college game.

10. Campus will become your home.

As much as you hate the caf food and being away from your pets, you’ll miss campus when you’re away. It’s cheesy, but the people and the atmosphere will make you feel safe and loved, just like how home should feel.

Lover of sunshine and happiness and all things bees
Her Campus at SAU