What To Do On Your Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

The calm after the storm. That is exactly what winter break is like for any collegiette after finals.

There’s only one week left of school for finals, but what can you do this winter break?

Nothing. Oh yes, that is the life! Don’t do anything, well not really nothing, but you get the gist. Wake up late, go to bed late, hang out with friends, and relax. It’s been a tough semester, and a little “me” time is perfectly acceptable. If there is something you’ve wanted to do but couldn’t because of school, then now is the time to do it. Go on a little vacation, knit that sweater, become a fitness junkie, clean your room because, seriously, how many of us have blamed it on school?

Maybe doing nothing isn’t your thing. Or you are so used to doing something you won’t know what to do with yourself. If that’s the case, then think about an internship.

Having an internship is essential no matter your major. It’s not very usual to have a winter internship, but it will only better you. Seriously, when have you heard of someone saying they had a winter internship? That work experience will set you apart from other applicants, and the contacts you’ll make might help you get your foot in the door. Maybe there’s an amazing internship available because of prestige,but it might not be your kind of environment. In that case, your internship would only be about six weeks long and not a whole semester or summer. There’s also the chance that you may not be taking classes. Your life will be so much easier without having to deal with too much. The pros of having a short internship also brings up the con…that it is short! Having only about six weeks for an internship may not be enough. It takes time and practice to get your new skills and tasks down, so you may not learn as much from this winter internship as you would a longer one. It will also be a lot more difficult to prove yourself to your supervisors. The short time may also make it difficult to establish relationships. If you can’t get an internship because you need some extra cash but can’t get a paid internship, then you can take advantage of a seasonal job or take a few winter classes to get ahead in school.

It is quite normal for students to change majors throughout their college years. As a result, you may also have to take extra classes to meet the new major requirements. If you think you are getting behind and or want to graduate on time, look into what courses are offered in the winter. You may be able to get one or two classes out of the way. And getting a job for a little extra cash never hurt anyone. Aside from using it for your expenses, you can save up for gifts on Christmas or even a trip for spring break!

But of course, never forget to have fun and take advantage of the break! Cook a gourmet meal, go sledding (if it snows this year!), go ice skating, shopping, caroling, volunteer, have your own marathon of your favorite show, host a slumber party, and have a dance party, or have a dance party just for you, go to the movies, or sleep! Ah, yes, sleep. Does your body even remember how to do that? 

Enjoy the break!

Mary is a senior at St. Ambrose University majoring in English and journalism. She is originally from Naperville, IL and hopes to one day be back in Chicago. In the past Mary has interned for Sourcebooks, a publishing company in Naperville, and this past year she studied abroad in London and interned at Parliament. She hopes to one day be an editor in publishing at a magazine or at a publishing group like Penguin. Besides being the founding editor of Her Campus St. Ambrose, Mary is also a writing tutor at St. Ambrose. In her free time, she loves to travel, hang out with family and friends, and shop a little bit too much at Gap and J. Crew!