Life > Experiences

What Comes Next… Life After College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

After 16+ years of school it’s time to decide what comes next, and as an indecisive individual I have no clue what that means. To be spending 9 out of 12 months of the year studying, taking exams, and doing homework to suddenly have to figure out what you’re doing for the rest of your life can be pretty scary. I have prepped back-up plans B-F and now it’s time to decide which of those plans I’ll be choosing. I would love for my plan A to work-out, but you’re always told growing up to never put all of your eggs in one basket. 

The other problem with creating several back-up scenarios is deciding which ones are practical and which ones you actually love most. I grew up in an extremely practical family, so the whole following your dreams idea was never really encouraged. I mean sure I would love to run off to Europe and never look back, as would almost everyone, but I know I would never be able to actually do that.

Kellyn Simpkin-Girl In Front Of Eiffel Tower France Hat Paris
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus

I and most other soon to be “full adults” are at the point where it’s not just time to think of what we want to do next, but why we are choosing this path. Are we actually choosing this path for ourselves or is it to appease the other people in our lives? 

I am a senior Human Performance and Fitness major who loves reading, acting, and motivating others through organizations such as Dance Marathon. I hope to become a pediatric occupational therapist, so that I can help even more people.