This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

What the 2018 Midterms Taught Me…

On Nov 6. 2018, the midterm election occurred. This meant that local district representatives, congressmen, senators, and governors were running for election and re-election. This election had a lot of weight tied to it. People were claiming that a “blue wave” would occur and that history would be made. I did what I felt was my duty and voted, but did not think that any history would be made. What happened showed me that in some ways, I was wrong.

The Congress turned democrat by picking up 27 seats in the house, which will be a big change. For the past two years the Congress has been republican controlled.

In the Senate the Republicans not only held control, but gained three seats losing only one.

(as of 11/09/2018 there are still undecided races in the congress, senate, and governor races)

“Tomorrow will be a new day in America,” Nancy Pelosi said on election night. “Today is more than about Democrats and Republicans. It’s about restoring the Constitution’s checks and balances to the Trump administration.” 

Pelosi, Minority Leader of the United States House of Representatives, will once again become Speaker of House because of Democrats regaining majority. Using subpoenas, the Democrats in majority will attempt to obtain President Trump’s tax returns, but President Trump doesn’t seem concerned. 

With Republicans still in control of the Senate, the president can feel relieved knowing that if the Congress attempts to impeach him, the Senate will most likely back him up.

The governor races and local election results were fairly mixed between the parties.

Overall, elections are important. As college students, it is important to be involved in the races and research the candidates who are running. This election taught me that my vote does matter. There are currently recounts going on in 18 races, which is a perfect example of why one vote can make a difference. 

Source 1

Source 2 

Her Campus at SAU