Well-Rounded Women of Color on TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAU chapter.

The majority of people in charge of the media at the top levels, are rich, white men. That chain of power trickles down to all aspects of the media, including writers, directors and editors. Thus, television is mostly populated with white people, and many of its stories revolve around men. However, women and people of color have been making strides to get themselves and their voices seen and heard in non-stereotypical ways.

Here’s a list of four of the most well-rounded women of color currently on television:

1. April Ludgate (Parks and Recreation, NBC): April is played by Puerto Rican actress, Aubrey Plaza. April is imbued with Aubrey’s signature awkward, uncomfortable, and cynical humor. April, stating that she’s Puerto Rican and that’s why she’s so “lively and colorful,” jokes about her own deadpan sensibilities, and racist attitudes. But despite this niche humor, the character has not been restricted. Throughout the show’s run (so far) April has gotten married, opened up to people and expressed how much she cares for them, and even turned from a slacker to a motivated Parks and Recreation employee who has applied to veterinary school. She’s not a token woman of color or a stereotypical Latina, she’s a three dimensional character the audience can root for and has seen grow.

2. Joan Watson (Elementary, CBS): Lucy Liu’s Joan Watson has made strides for women of color simply because Elementary has taken the traditionally white, male and heterosexual John Watson and turned him into an awesome Asian woman. Joan has earned Sherlock’s respect and friendship throughout the show’s first season. Joan, a former surgeon turned Sherlock’s sober companion, turned his friend and detective partner, has been given the opportunity to demonstrate her intelligence, her deductive reasoning skills, and her empathetic abilities. The show has taken time to delve into her past and introduce her parents, showing that Joan is just as important as Sherlock and just as complete a character.

3. Emily Fields (Pretty Little Liars, ABC Family): ABC Family is not known as a beacon of quality television, but in Pretty Little Liars they’ve created a ridiculous, soap-opera mystery that demonstrates women’s ability to be friends without catty boy drama getting between them. And Emily Fields, played by Filipino actress Shay Mitchell, is equally as developed as the other Liars. Emily is a lesbian of color who has romantic relationships that are given equal screentime and importance as that of the three white, heterosexual leads on the show. Emily has grown more assertive and confident over the seasons, has learned who she is, and is not restricted by the show’s creative team due to her race or sexual orientation.

4. Mindy Lahiri (The Mindy Project, Fox): Indian actress Mindy Kaling’s character—on the show she has created for herself—fulfills a unique spot on this list. Mindy Lahiri is often seen as shallow, romance-obsessed, and prone to change her mind. She’s not the most mature lead character. Thus, Kaling has given herself the opportunity to play a role most women of color have not been given: the romantic comedy lead. She’s playing a character often regulated to white women, opening up a new space for herself, one that is not simply quirky best friend.

The fact that there are only four women on this list says something about my own limited television scope, but it also remarks on the lack of realistic, three dimensional women of color currently on television. However, it’s always important to celebrate the ladies who are making progress and appreciate when women of color are given the space they deserve.

Her Campus at SAU